Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coop

12 - 14 ounce wieghts?

5 posts in this topic

I know Bass Pro Shops has them but not online. But they ain't cheap....

You DON'T want to go to their store, you'll spend WAY too much money there, flipping place is awesome.

You can easily make them yourself if you have the melting ladle and molds.

The lead is easy to come by, ask a local tire shop for some or go to a road with lots of pot holes and pick them up.

You can use any kind of steel container with a "mold" size you want. Get a bottle of methane, not propane, cut up the lead and drop it in the mold, let 'er melt.

I'd take a piece of 21 Malin and form a tight u shape with a cheap swivel at the top of it. Drop the two ends opposite of the loop in and let cool.

Coop, do it outside, ok? :lol:

I know Barb has 8's, Bev probably does too, add on a 6 to it. Like I said though, expensive.....

If you yak it out you can just use half a brick with a heavy clothes hanger through the hole to help it hold.

Another way for tossing:

Take an eight and form a spiked pattern with hangars and attach it to the 8.

It will sink in better and resist rolling around.

If you yak out, I wanna' see the video where you go airborne in the crashers!

With and without the yak under you. :shock::lol:

I have purchased 10 oz weights at Harbor Tackle and Bucks Place. If you need more, and sometimes I have, the best way I have found to hold bottom is linking them together in the chain technique. Meaning that you should attach your weights in a row using some copper wire connected through the eye of the weight. It works best if you use close to the same amount weights in the chain. Such as a 6 linked to a 6. Or an 8 linked to an 8 or 6. The best length wire between the weights for me was approx. 6 inches. But that all depends on the rig you are using, current, and personal preference. Good luck. :) One thing I have found out is that if you get a smaller size fish to strike with that much weight on, it is hard to notice.

You use a three-way swivel at the top, drop a line down for thr hook(s) and a line down for the weights. That way the fish wouldn't feel the weight and the bite force would transfer direct to the running line.

Of course, this only works if the lines don't twist together.....