35 posts in this topic

Preparing for the OC tournament and I am trying to develop a fishing strategy. It looks like it is going to be small bluefish and more small bluefish again. It may be worth trying for some flounder as well. We are supposed to have a light east wind for a few days before the Tourny and that may make things a little more interesting, especially if we get some larger bluefish and a few legal stripers.

Is anyone else fishing the tournament?

What do you think will be the best fishing strategy?

I'll be fishing the tourny too the best advice is to fish for everything and if blues or what ever is hitting target them.

Good luck.

Ocsnapper,

Good luck in the tournament.

Yeah, we try different baits and rigs and we usually start with a small hook size to capitalize on whatever is out there. You are right, you never know what is out there. About ten years ago I caught a couple of fat alberts in the tourny, and eight years ago one of my team mates either caught a 7 lb pompano or maybe it was a permit.

I don't know if there are enough kingfish to really target them, but the small ones make good striper bait, and a few legal stripers have been caught in the surf lately. There also seem to be more flounder around than we have had in the past.

What team are you on?

I will also be fishing the tournament and I'll be happy with fishable weather the last two years have been a washout. You know your in trouble when you throw out a 16oz frogs tounge and it is back at your feet before you take the slack out of your line.

No Doubt!

We were throwing 12 oz. hatteras sinkers and walking at a fast clip down the beach just to keep up with our rigs. It was the first time in 27 years that they have cancelled tournament. I have only seen one other tournament like that, and it was in the early 80's. We had a 45 mph northeaster and we could not hold bottom with 16 oz. I remember setting on the fourth floor baconey of our hotel watching beach furniture fly by and the hotel pool fill up with wind blown sand.

In those days we still had some beach picks on the lower part of the island near some jetties and a ladies team won the tournament with two flounder that were caught in about 2' of water on the protected side of one of those rock piles.

I hope I don't see conditions like that for another 20+ years.

hi guys i will also be fishing this weekend in the oc surf tournament my thoughts is going to be on bluefish i think 90%of the fish will be blues.have won the tournament before on all kingfish, but i think there gone.

herb richardson

P.S HOPE TO SEE YOU GUYS THERE

TEAM REEL MANIACS

Herb,

I think they got some kingfish in the Fall Classic tourny in DE this past weekend, but you are right, bluefish are probably your best bet and maybe a flounder or two.

The weather is also looking pretty good.

Good luck in the tournament!

Congratulations to MUQU they kicked A$$!

We fished our guts out and scored fish every session, but it was not enough. This was the 5th year that we did not get any good beach picks. We were high hook for our session areas, but we had 30 throw backs for every scoring fish. This was our 28th Ocean City tournament and I think it was our last.

Jay did you end up with surfers in front of you on Sat we were at 16 in the afternoon and there must have been 100 of them in our 100 yards of beach. They were mostly kids 14 to 18 and believe it or not when asked then moved on. although as always there were a few trouble makers.

This tournament happens once a year. the south end of OC is the most populated area. They could move the the fishing area noth to the Delaware line and get away from this issue.

We will not be back much longer if this continues to happen.

I fished at 14 on Sat. and Sam got him self 2 surfers both C/R, it was bad in that area to fish most of the surfers were trying to stay clear of people fishing but the current keep bring them down in front of us all morning. They should not use that stretch of beach it is a well known surfing beach and on Saturdays it gets real crowded, all they would have to do is skip about 3 to 4 blocks and that would make things better for everyone.

By the way what was the high score and who won?

We didn't have any surfers to deal with in our sat. afternoon session...it was the young lass in a two piece that was laying out right in the middle of section 43 (which happened to be our next spot :icon_thumright:) that was distracting to me. It was very hard to focus on fishing....found myself heading back to the cooler for bait change much more often than in the morning session. Sadly enough, no hookups to speak of in the water.....or on the sand.