72 posts in this topic

The fishing is slowly picking up. Red drum have made a showing in the AI surf and the blues are still plentiful. Rays and sharks are still hanging around mullet have been thick in the wash.

Congratulations to those who made the board in the Harbor Tackle Red Drum Tournament!

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Took a few hours to drive down the beach last night. Headed south in anticipation for big red, but nothing but sharks. I was surprised to see how big these sandbars are. The water is still very warm and the wind was steady 10mph from the S-S/W. No bugs and a little pullage. Nice night.

one nice size cow nose ray and one bite off, probably a shark. nice night on the beach.

I am going to ride down this weekend... Noticed a better side of the beach? North of the bull pen??? South of the Bull pen??? I love to fish all night.. I vacate out bout 9ish or so in the mornin... I would love to land a big shark... Guess I need to get a Kayak... and start lookin for other yakkers out there to get some pointers... and how to not get eaten when dropping bait!!! always a bonus... Well I'm all over the road again... its thursday 24hrs till Im back down wetting some lines!!! Sorry for the Babble!!!hehehe:angry9:

South of Bull Pen for Drum, Sharks can be caught anywhere and everywhere right now.

No need to yak baits out for sharks, they are all being caught on casted baits at nighttime. If you want sharks throw big chunks, not heads. Sand Tigers are usually in close to the shore break at night running up and down the beach. If you get a hit and immediatly cut off its more than likely a sand tiger that swam into your line with its mouth open. Not much you can do to prevent that.

Yup, sharks are pretty much everywhere right now. 4-5' range.

I hit the beach tonight from 7-3 and had a couple take downs. I lost something strong (broke my line) after about 30 seconds. Pure Pullage....

Also caught a butterfly ray and the biggest cownose I've ever seen. Took me an hour to beach it with my 1509. I hate breaking them off, but I would have with this one if I could have just SEEN it. I tried my best to turn it into a record drum, but it wouldn't have anything to do with it. I'm done with those bad boys. Grass and skeeters came in around 2am.

fished in DL yesterday sunup-3pm, all alone but about 7 trucks packed in what I figured to be fulton's hole...too funny on an entirely open beach.

Birds and bait working within 30yds at times nearly all day, plenty of charks to 5' to keep the clickers warmed up. Good fun. Had one at the end I was sure was a red, had that clicker squealing and took half a spool by the time I got to it, had it in the waves and could see the gold...ended up being 3' of grass on my line over top of my chark...broke my heart.

Didn't notice any reds beached. Conditions were fantastic, only missing some swell, ESE/SE/SSE all day and up to 20kts at points but zero swell until the tide turned but we had to leave.

I'll be down on AI Saturday fishing thru Sunday morning. If you see a blue Durango MD plates and front rack mount stop in and say Hi.

May also be with my buddy in a green explorer.

I hope to find a lonely bull red.

Devo

Fished on the beach late yesterday, couple sharks and a ray. I may be done for a while...may do a little boat fishing for the next week or two.

may do a little boat fishing for the next week or two.

WHAT???

But you can fish from a boat? LOL

from the beach, I spend 8 hours or more. From a boat, may stay out for only a few hours. Can't burn up a whole day.

Uh oh... The dark side! Just kidding with ya. I wish I had a boat now and then.

Fished AI this morning around the big flag pole way down south.

Wind was blowing hard from the North West. was using 8s and 10s to hold. Blues where everywhere! You had to change your bait every 10 minutes or so. Right when we got there the blues where so thick you could feel them attacking your bait as it sank you where walking your rod back to the spike. It was almost unfishable for drum since you couldn't keep any bait in the water without blues nailing it. Caught a few skates as well today. Water temp seemed really warm.

The good news is Amanda caught about a dozen finger mullet in a couple throws of the cast net we just bought. So that was pretty good being that neither of us never seen a cast net before, let alone threw one. The mullet seems pretty thick right in the break they where jumping all over the place. I am sure someone who knew what they where doing with a castnet could easily had a couple dozen, if not more.

Also of note, beach was extremely crowded with non-fishing people. Even 10 miles down the beach there was a lot of people just sitting on the beach and relaxing. When we where leaving a ranger was almost down near the fence, I think they where going to start counting cars since it was so crowded.

Going to head the choptank fishing pier tonight to catch some spot and maybe even some stripers and trout.

Fished 10 miles down Assateague yesterday 2 pm until about 3 this morning. The black flies were SERIOUS! Used up a whole can of spray but they kept slamming into me, felt creepy. West wind and dead low tide, nothing happening. Threw chunks and heads, Spot and Bunker. Crabs ate well though. Lit my customary bonfire early and it chased off the flies. Pulled out some coals and cooked a nice dinner.

Yakked out a double rig about 300 yards with 20/0 circles for the toothies at sunset. Pretty hard coming back in against the west wind.

About 11:30 pm and receding tide, the Penn 115 screamed. Straight out runs, very very little movement up and down the beach. Felt lots of head shakes and runs back into the beach. Thought I lost it when it went real slack.

Ok, thinking a nice toothie, maybe a meal.

What a surprise I got when my headlamp revealed a 47" Red.

Unknown weight but fat.

Darn, I should have thrown the cast net, could have used some live bait. Didn't see any Blues, shucks... Need more play time.

*Pics tomorrow, at work tonight...

Great job, Steve! Did you get a picture?

congrats!

I headed out Friday into Saturday. Small blues everywhere. I did pull in a 16 incher that hit like freight train. I learned if you didn't have a fish on within 15 minutes pull in your hook, cause your baits gone. You could almost feel the tiny vibrations of small fish pickin your bait while it soaked. You just prayed something big enough to fit it in their mouth showed up.

I took my brother out for his first time in the surf, (he hasn't fished anything in over 10 years). He's 33, but he was like a 12 yr old. I literally had to take pole away after I packed up because we had to leave. Teach a kid to fish, or take the inner child of an adult out to fish. He would still be out there pulling in 12 inch blues with a 12 inch smile if he could.

Friday night into Saturday morning was COLD. I think the forecast was for 57, but the wind was up, and even the fire didn't take the child around 3:30. It’s my first year and I realize I need to prepare more for the cold nights. The only warm thing was the water, but for some reason I didn't want to soak myself in the same medium that I was fishing for sharks in. I actually wished I had brought chest waders to keep dry.

fished from 6pm sat until 8am sunday about 3 miles south of the bullpen one shark 5ft, 2 kingfish 12-13" and too many little blues, could not keep the bait on the hook long enough for anything else....but hey at least it kept me awake

Got on the beach about...10pm found a nice spot a spit and a hollar south of the bull pen... nice night! I think the wind was about 400MPH a coupla timer but other than that was nice and cold out... Thank Gosh for the fire!! Nothing through the night... i think I am over casting...I am out by the first break... I need to find the sharks... Well Once my little one woke up thats when the fun began... tons of blues and flounder... She caught everything again!!! hahahaha Met a nice ol guy came in in the morning with his great grand daughter and grand son... whatta nice bunch!!! My little girl played all day I don't think we left the beach till bout 4pm... He had an older dodge 5.9l diesel and I think if he started it up with me standing in front of it... it would suck me up into the intake... It sounded AWESOME!!! Well i am off to the Diesel Performance store... I have to keep up with the Jones's... The Georges in this case!!!:happy5:

DSCF1365.jpg.0d3e2f8bfcba0b555dbd55cdcff

DSCF1366.jpg.7f0bf99f95b3bb5ba37daa00423

DSCF1382.jpg.3932e0e1cdf7743f7570325fad7

DSCF1384.jpg.34e74175e7ad103ea6318b12c70

DSCF1385.jpg.d5670fae0d218626082f1f57cda

DSCF1386.jpg.1e38b045bb473d9cdc8bf149fe3

DSCF1387.jpg.6f71757220b445b4bf3d35629a9

DSCF1388.jpg.338d4ef3529c99b62ed31304a4f

DSCF1390.jpg.c75e5fe1f77aed30696925e9446

Awesome report runinbroke looks like the family had a great time

Great reports, guys! Thanks for the pictures. :icon_thumleft: