16 posts in this topic

The wife and I are heading to Hatteras for a week on 10/5. I am NOT taking the boat, and want to fish the beach. Can anyone recommend general locations (not specific spots, i know how to read a beach), tackle, bait, tactics? Thanks, in advance, and yes, I'll take lots and lots of pictures and post 'em when I get back, or sooner if I can find a WAP.

Good Luck Bob! I'll be waiting to see the pics

Sorry I can't help you with any spots since i never been there.

Bohica,

I've been fishing down there for the past 16 years both a spring and fall trip. In fact, I'll be down there at the end of Oct. for a long weekend woth my family.

Here's what I wold recommend:

For Drum Fishing: First check in a Frank &Frans (Avon) for the Avon fishing report, if Fishing Ocean side out of AVon, ramp 34 just at the south end of town, holds a lot of great holes for Puppy Drum and large Drum, Blues, and the assortment a smaller stuff. drive the beach on low tide to view the structure and come back on the incoming 2-3 hours of high tide.

Buxton: Drum fishing is very good on the ocean behind the Motels! If you want to fight the crowds then go to the Point (access the beach from Ramp 44. follow the tracks to the right as you come out to the beach, not the first right as that will lead you to the southe end of the hook) You will not get lost but do be aware and ask the folks at Red Drum tackle about current beach closures etc. They will also have a reliable fishing report and the bait is good.

Drum, Blues, False Albacore, spot, King, others can be had at the song ocean area collectively caled the "South Beach" this is an area that starts from the insde south hook of the point and extends south al the way to Frisco. Nice for those windy days when its NE at 15+ knots and your getting sandblasted off the point.

Further south towards Hatteras village you can access the beach at the left of the Ocrakoke Ferry access. This road will lead you to a large fishng areas on bouth the ocean and sound near Hatteras inlet. At times this can be some of the best Fishing on the Island.

Hope you have fun and let me kow if you have any specific questions.

Devo

Does anyone know any Wifi Hotspots near Avon? Or should I d/l a dialup provider?

must be nice...........

Don't forget while you are down there --> J.I.G. <---

I can't wait to get a JOB!

Don't forget while you are down there --> J.I.G. <---

WTF!?! LMAO!!

Here's a serious question....having never surf fished OBX before. I've heard that they don't use rod holders in the outer banks, is this true? Should I only fish 1 rod at a time or deploy a 3 rod spread?

depends where you are, if you have room then go for it with the full spread. One of the reasons for not spiking is that a lot of the guys will wade to the bar and fish or you are shoulder to shoulder fishing a drift. Not much reason to worry about it unless you are planning on fishing the point in the conga line.

Cool, thanks, Ben. I usually prefer to fish by myself. Do my own scouting, and all that....plus, I think I'd embarrass everyone north of the Mason Dixon line if I got into that mess at the point, lol.

point fishing really isn't that bad, just takes some getting used to.

Yeah, I'll do recon before I actually try it.

Where can I find out about ORV access rules? Do I need a permit? I have my AI safety gear, is there anything else I need?

The only area where Rod spiking is frowned upon is at the tip of the poiint, during a bite.

The Romans will tend to get a bit cranky if you do that. Otherwise, there is 99.999% of the beach where you can set up a nice big spiked spread!

You should find plenty of Internet Wireless access in Avon.

Have a ball....:director2:

No ORV pemit required, no count number implemented or enforced.

Good idea to have the standard stuff (boards, shovel, jack, tow strap) anywhere when off roadin.

Sunscreen and raingear.....