9 posts in this topic

Hi my name is Budgie Burgess,At the moment I live in London,England.In a few weeks Im visiting a friend of mine in North Carolina for a few weeks fishing.Was hoping some of you could give me some information about fishing for Buffalo? Where to find them,best conditions,baits etc?

Many thanks.

Specific locations for Buffalo? Well that I can't help you with, but I do know that just about any body of freshwater will hold carp. You will find that carp fishing isn't quite as popular here as it is in the UK. Personally I find them fun to catch due to their large size and the enormous amount of fight they have.... Where exactly in North Carolina will you be visiting?

Thanks for replying Jeff.Im visiting a friend who lives near Charlotte.I believe Lake Wylie is going to be one of our venues (water level permitting).

Buffalo are one of the few (large) freshwater species that Ive never caught and Im keen to try for one.Ive read up whatI can find out about them but still not much info! Any pointers re tackle/baits/location would be much apreciated.

Doughballs and little size 4 hooks.

They have a small mouth.

Hi, If you want a strong fresh water fish try some of the large catfish. There are several lakes in NC & SC that are well known for the monsters. Best recommendation would be Lake Santee Cooper. This is just south of the NC state line. HUGE CATFISH.

DogDeal 1:icon_thumright:

Where exactly is Lake Santee Cooper?

I couldn't find it....

Thanks for that Steve it confirms what others have said.Suppose there is just as good a chance of getting a Buffalo pick up one of our dough/paste or maize baits meant for carp?

Thanks also DogDeal.Ive caught Flathead cats and Channel cats whilst in the US before but hope to have a try for a Blue this time.

Just heard that the launch ramps on Wylie have now been closed due to the lack of water! Any other sugestions?

Falls, Jordan and Norman lakes. Lake Norman has an incredible amount of structures and cuts. Water levels are down though. When I was there a month ago the levels were down about 6 feet.

No decent rain so the levels are probably still way down.

I'd suggest one of the rivers instead. Pick one....