9 posts in this topic

Just got some pics mailed from my aunt and uncle. This is the sandtiger me and Sam caught one night,,,one toothy critter.

8.jpg

9.jpg

That was a nice looking shark. I wasn't sure if I had coop hooked (it was night and he was coming back from paddling out another bait). I remember thinking, "man, I hope I don't have him hooked up out there." I didn't hear any screaming, so I kept on pulling! :twisted:

I had thoughts nearly the same one day.

You and Alexis took one of my lines out and I didn't know when it got dropped off. Ya'll started paddling across, your Pop and I were like, did she drop it? I wanted to get the slack out but didn't want to nail her with that honkin' hook.

How's the water temps for yaking?

Back then I was paddling out on a surfboard. When I went out to paddle the second bait and dropped it off, I kinda lost my point of reference because it was getting pretty dark. I am sure when I dropped the bait off, that sandtiger was more than likely pretty darn close to me. Kinda gives me the willies when thinking about it.

BTW Steve, Water temps should be fine until the middle to the end of this month. I know when I surf during the middle or end of September, I start wearing a spring suit. Its the wind and air temps that might bother a yaker. Slip into a spring suit and you should be fine until middle of October. Right now water temps are comfortable but the air is cooler and the wind is starting to blow out of the NE. That fetch should be going on for the next few days. Getting wet and then getting into a yak might feel a little chilly due to the combination of cooler air and wind speed. They are also forecasting an increase of swell here the next few days. May make yaking difficult,,,onshore winds and swell.

How's the water temps for yaking?

It's not bad. It feels a little chillier than in July, but still not bad. No sharks though...

How long will you guys yak your bait out? I know you all are crazy when it comes to fishing in the freezing cold, so figured the temperature isn't going to keep you out of the water. I wouldn't be too surprised if I was putting up the Christmas tree and you guys were still trying to take your bait out (maybe just not as far out).

Carrie

Carrie, Now that the sharking is coming to a slow stand still, I have decided to hang up the yak for the season. Casting for fishies now. I think my wife is happy, now she can use it :D .