17 posts in this topic

know alot of people are fans of super lines (braid, etc) - but for those of us (is there anyone left?) still using mono, what size is optimal for most applications? I have 20lb on one rod and wondering if it would be better to go down to 17lb to help casting and to hold bottom better (less water and wind resistance). So far i've tried ande and silverthread - thinking I like silverthread better - more limp and smaller diameter.

Anyone have any experience/opinions on the optimal strength versus diameter of mono in the surf?

i dont really surf fish, yet.

but ive had really good results with iron silk

17lb is my favorite

not alot of memory, abrasion resistant. good knot strength.

I think I can safely say that all of the regular posters here still have mono in their setups.

Braid gets expensive, got too many reels to load up.

Yes, it does seem to cast farther than the same test in mono, not real far though.

I know that I won't have braid in the waterat night when there are Sharks around though, seems like they swim through and cut it more often than mono.

Braid also requires a better rinsing after the trip, because it's not smooth, it hangs onto more salt, sand, etc than mono. I have noticed a very tiny amount of feathering in my 35# braid that I used in FL, not nearly enough to trash it though.

I have 17 lb mono on my surf rigs, I really don't think you'll notice a difference in the toss between 17 and 20.

Always go with the lightest you can get away with. With a good amount of line and a properly set drag you shouldn't have any problems. Pulling the line straight down with the tip bending, drag should be set at 25-33% of the line test. A straight out pull should be set at 15%. I personally won't go below 17# on surf rigs because of line chaffing in the sand.

I really haven't noticed much difference in mono or braid diameter difference, not enough to make me decide on that factor alone when considering test in each type of line.

Braid's good, I'll keep both lines on my reels.

Ok thanks - I'll probably go for the 17lb then for the baitrunner - will probably get over 300 yds on the 6500B. In my other fishing experiences, I tend to "baby" the drag (set it lower than i really have to)- so i'm probably better with 300 yds of 17lb than 250 of 20lb.

Ok thanks - I'll probably go for the 17lb then for the baitrunner - will probably get over 300 yds on the 6500B. In my other fishing experiences, I tend to "baby" the drag (set it lower than i really have to)- so i'm probably better with 300 yds of 17lb than 250 of 20lb.

You're on the right track, buddy. :v:

All I use is mono,,,15lb to 20lb,,,these days 15 really is 17 and 17 is 20 and 20 is 23 or there abouts,,,I primarily use 17lb.

Liking Suffix Tritanium in 17 but if not available Trilene Big Game in 17 would be my second choice but need to check and change frequently. With conventionals you are checking every cast but with spinners you can have a nick and never know it.

Dave, how often do you change a line out on a spool,,,it seems if I fish several times a week, I find that the line loses its strength over a period of three or four weeks,,,as a result, I change mine out maybe every three or four weeks,,,is this the norm or a little to soon?

Dave, how often do you change a line out on a spool,,,it seems if I fish several times a week, I find that the line loses its strength over a period of three or four weeks,,,as a result, I change mine out maybe every three or four weeks,,,is this the norm or a little to soon?

:shock: wow and people thought I was crazy for changing-out my lines twice a year :lol:

I only use Ande, Berkley Big Game and P-Line Fluorocarbon

1 other thing I do is on the under-side of my spool, is write wth a Sharpie the brand, lb test and date spooled.

I guess I just sleep better knowing the line is changed every month or so :)

I use 20# on all my lines, brand does not matter not yet.Tryed braided once not convinced yet on it, (still in debate on that.). As long as I can get around 200 yards or so on my reel I'm happy. I can cast braided line farther then mono and it's better in the wind, but not enough for me to switch up on. Oh and about changing line on your reels I only do mine about 1 time a year as long as I have enough line left on the spool.. should do it more but I'am in to much of a rush to get to the beach :lol: and fish ( or is it just in a rush to get to the beach and relax )

Hmmm, I trhink I changed mine last year, or maybe year before.....

I used to change it every 12 trips or 12 months, whatever came first.

But you guys are getting as much salt time in one week as I get in a year.

Just can't get out there like I used to.

I used to run out anout 100' and pull it through my fingers to check it.

Yep, about 12 sessions before it felt like sandpaper.

I change mine about once a week / rod. Only because of this...

birds_nest_333.jpg.a6fd10e4e104efe3db965

Sam, how do you get eggs in your line?

Oh, I get it, using egg sinkers!

(hehehehehe)