19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Will be surf fishing for stripers and blues in the near future. Just got a new 10' rod and reel. The reel can handle 15-30 lb test line.

Was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what type of line and brand to use.

Thanks,

Chris

90% of people will probably suggest 17lb sufix tritanium. Can't go wrong.

Should also use a shock leader 40-60lb is most common there. I use Berkely big game 50lb myself. (if you're not familiar with shock leaders, do a quick search of this site. Plenty of info)

What type of fishing are you planning on doing? Are you planning on throwing lures from a bridge/inlet/jetty? Or are you sitting your behind on the beach while your rod is spiked waiting for that striper?

Stick around here and you will learn tons and tons of stuff. I know I sure as heck did in the past year.

What type of fishing are you planning on doing? Are you planning on throwing lures from a bridge/inlet/jetty? Or are you sitting your behind on the beach while your rod is spiked waiting for that striper?

Stick around here and you will learn tons and tons of stuff. I know I sure as heck did in the past year.

I'll be surf fishing. Casting out from the beach. Thanx.

In that case i'll go with the 90% and say Sufix Tri 17lb test. Use a 50lb shock leader unless your power casting then you want 10lb of leader per ounce of weight you are throwing. (example 8oz weight would use 80lb shock leader).

I personally throw pretty hard sometimes and I have yet to break 50lb big game.

What is the line capisaty of the reel?

What type of reel?

If the reel is a Baitcaster as said before 15 to 20 pound test is the way to go. I use 17 pound Sufix.

Spinning reels I would use 20 pound braid with some sort of filler backing. My bigger spinners hold 500 yard of 20 pound test so I put about 350 yards on the spool and fill the rest with the 20 pound braid. The braid is much thinner and helps when casting but is much more expensive.

I also use 65 pound braid as a shock leader on both my Spinning and Baitcasting gear.

The Penn 8500 is not all that braid friendly as it does not have an Oscillation line lay system but has a level line system that places the line more up and down instead of overlaying it as some of the more braid friendly reels do. . By overlay it means that the retrieve is more of a crisscross pattern so the Braid can not dig into itself while under tension. I would go with 15 to 17 pound test Mono.

Deja Vu!

Just had this discussion last week on here.

I've been using Ande 17 lb green envy for years. So far, no breaks.

But of course, you have to hook something big enough to break the line....

:angry8:

Recently I have been using Cajun Red 20# and an Okuma 90 reel on a 15' and a 12' and a 10' and a 9' seems to work... just need to keep the birds from geting tangled on the 15' On the shock leader I use 50#... Seems to work... Hoping to find out more this weekend!! Keep your Finners crossed the reds are movin in!!!:booty:

I second the Ande.

I have been using it for 25 years and it has a very good balance of stretch, castability, low memory, and knot strength. Very good bang for the buck and is widely available in lots of sizes. 20 years ago I landed a 185 pound tarpon on 12 pound Ande with a 40 lb shock leader. Not bad considering the fight took an hour and a half and took us over numerous flats and obstructions.

I have also had problems with shock leader knots failing when using lines with dissimilar properties. Just a thought, but I have found Ande running line with an Ande leader works extremely well. I use a 25' shock leader that is twice the strength of the running line. I have tried a number of co-polomer lines and they have all let me down in one or more key areas, such as knot strength, castability, memory, or too much stretch. Ande also behaves very well on spinning tackle.

Jay

PS.

You need to know that Ande comes three grades. It is a soft line with a finish on it that has various grades of abrasions resistance. Pink has a hard finish, is less castable and tough as nails. It is good for bait casting reels on a boat. Many head boats us it. Ande tournament casts a mile and has less abrasion resistance and it tests at the stated weight. Ande premium has a good balance of both and it what a use for surf fishing. Either the tournament or premium would be good, it just depends on what your value most; excellent casting distance or combination of good casting distance with more durability.

before this year i always used berkley iron silk, i never had an issue with it. but i wanted a 1lb spool and couldnt find it. so i switched to suffix tritanium. all i can say is i love it. its a great line. 17lb matched with 80lb ande premium chock leader and its good to go in the surf. for other fishing i ditch the shocker

What exactly is the purpose of the shock leader? I use 20lb braid fishing in the surf with no shock leader? Should I be using one?

it allows you to put more power on the cast without fear of breaking the line. as well as providing some abrasion resistance for the line in the sand.

Does it affect your casting distance? Do you only use this for bottom fishing or also for throwing lures? How long of a leader do you use?

IMHO it does not affect your distance too much, and that is offset by the fact that you can be confident in loading up on your cast without the line failing.

I use a 25-30' shock leader for bait fishing and a short 3-4' shock leader with a small power swivel for lure fishing. I find that a longer leader for lure fishing creates problems with the knot going through the tip so many times.

I usually double the strength of the running line with my shock leader. Some folks like to go heavier when using heavy weights and baits.

The shock leader does a number of things for you.

1. It helps prevent break-offs during the cast

2. It is easier on your finger when you are spin fishing with heavy weights

3. It protects the end of you line from abrasion from shells, sand bars, and the fish's fins and body

4. It gives you more confidence when you are loading up your cast

5. It saves terminal tackle

6. When you feel the knot going through your guides it helps you know when your rig is close to you in the dark

7. It helps protect your hand when you grab the line to land a large fish

8. When you have a few wraps of leader on the spool you can put more pressure on the fish in order to land it.

There are a number of low profile knots that you can use to tie on shock leaders. Albright, double uni, and double blood knots work well. The quality of the knot depends more on how well you tie and tighten the knot. If you don't get a good knot the first time, it is worth taking the time and effort to re-tie it.

PS.

Always make sure your moisten the knot before you tighten it and tighten it slowly so that you don't burn the line.

when you tie the double uni how close can you trim the tag end on the mono because the more tag the more it will catch on the guides but if it's too short will you be risking the knot slipping?