20 posts in this topic

Waters are finally starting to cool and the fishing is slowly picking up.

For those entering in the Harbor Tackle Red Drum Tournament, good luck!

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Its looking like a comfortable weekend on the beach, weather.com has the winds forcasted up to 11:00am on saturday. Looks like 2 -3 MPH winds that are swirling. Starting S then S W then S E then N then N E and etc. Not sure it good for fishing but at least we won't be pitching 10's and 12's and praying they hold.

Speaking of the tournament if anyone wants to meet up for a nice dinner somewhere when its over at 3 let me know, maybe we can get a group of us together! that should make for some good times.

very true, just saying blue bird days don't necessarily mean 8oz or less so be prepared in case it gets moving.

With that wind shift to south after this pronged NE my guess is there will be some serious fish caught. Might take a tide to shift current after the switch Thurs but should be some easy holding. I only throw 8s or more but I might buy somes 6s for ease on my old bones. Setting up for the perfect bite. Only issue with all the beach traffic at night lights will be all over the water which really spooks these fish. Hopefully most folks will be settled down after dark. Hope HT got enough judges. They earn their keep thats for sure.

Oliver and Dave-you guys judging?

Only issue with all the beach traffic at night lights will be all over the water which really spooks these fish. Hopefully most folks will be settled down after dark.

Hint Hint... Dave, you are awesome with the subtleties. :icon_wink:

CG ya I'll be helping Bev and Terri out again this year the first night for about 12 hours or so, and if things go right maybe some time on Sat.

Good luck to all.

Fished in the tourney and left Saturday early afternoon not feeling the greatest. Blues, sharks, skates and a ray for my efforts. I think I slept more than I fished.

Catchem up guys, still time!

Fished pretty much all weekend with Esoxangler and Grossy. Lots and Lots of blues, you could pretty much catch them at will anytime of the day. They made for some nice fresh bait. Got bitten off a couple time during the night, hooked in to one HUGE ray that I couldn't budge even leaning back and putting all my weight into it. I fought it for about 10 minutes and then just did the whole walk backward towards the dune. It wasn't worth fighting during a long stretch on the beach. Skates seem to be making a comeback now that the temps are dropping. Seen a small doggie caught as well. The only real downfall to the weekend was the grass on Saturday, if you didn't change your bait every 15 20 min it got full of grass and dragged down the beach. All in All it was an extremely nice weekend to fish. Saturday night I didn't even put my waders on, I was in shorts the whole night.

SAM --- Thanks for the assist last night!

PS -- if anyone gets the chance to fish with Phil (esoxangler) for an exteneded session, don't plan on keeping up with him. He is an absolute fishing MACHINE!

SAM --- Thanks for the assist last night!

PS -- if anyone gets the chance to fish with Phil (esoxangler) for an exteneded session, don't plan on keeping up with him. He is an absolute fishing MACHINE!

No Problem!

Yes, Phil is one of the toughest guys I've ever met.

Went out Sunday afternoon in the boat behind Assateague with the family to try for some flounder. Caught one then the girls decided they wanted to ride to Ocean City. Around dinner time we decided to head for home, past South Point. We were well in route when I saw some birds working. Didn't expect much but decided to cast to them. Bluefish at first then we started to find some trout. Hadn't seen them in awhile. Caught another flounder, a blue, a seabass and some perch. Nothing huge but good action. Turned out to be a great time on a beautiful day.

My cousin Scott and I fished the beach Fri. and Sat. Only small Blues. We did get a show, there was a group of porpoise playing in the surf.

DSCF0445.JPG.8764bc350782c697394965c53a5

hit the surf at chinc sat @ 7pm, stayed until @ 9am

hat a couple of nice runs, and some bite/break offs. changed from 40lb to 80 leader, still bit through. gotta get me some steel :) big blue? shark? only the fishy knows. the line was brand new ande.

first time the wife had heard the clicker go off, now she wants an avet, this stuff could get expensive :)

hit the surf at chinc sat @ 7pm, stayed until @ 9am

hat a couple of nice runs, and some bite/break offs. changed from 40lb to 80 leader, still bit through. gotta get me some steel :) big blue? shark? only the fishy knows. the line was brand new ande.

first time the wife had heard the clicker go off, now she wants an avet, this stuff could get expensive :)

most certainly a chark Rog, even a big blue should hit the beach before making it through 80lb, especially with circle hooks.

most certainly a chark Rog, even a big blue should hit the beach before making it through 80lb, especially with circle hooks.

yeah was using 8/0 circles on 1 rod and 14/0 on another. lookin for big feesh

I agree on the shark, I was bitten off a couple times this past weekend myself. esoxangler landed a couple sharks throughout the nights, so they were out there.

Started feeding the Crabs bout... 8-9ish fri night... Caught Blues and Flounder... My buddy that I went with took his 10 year old... I will post the pics soon... The Kids face said it all! AWESOME fishing... Can't wait for the Red drum run! That Grass was a Bummer.... I MAY have taken a quickie nap bout 4 in the morning!!! MISTAKE... I think by the time I got the line in I had bout 10# of Grass on it along with my other 3 lines balled up in the mess!!!! But It was a nice night... got dark fast... still too warm... Still better than a good day at work!:happy3:

Started feeding the Crabs bout... 8-9ish fri night... Caught Blues and Flounder... My buddy that I went with took his 10 year old... I will post the pics soon... The Kids face said it all! AWESOME fishing... Can't wait for the Red drum run! That Grass was a Bummer.... I MAY have taken a quickie nap bout 4 in the morning!!! MISTAKE... I think by the time I got the line in I had bout 10# of Grass on it along with my other 3 lines balled up in the mess!!!! But It was a nice night... got dark fast... still too warm... Still better than a good day at work!:happy3:

LOL -- I made the mistake of walking up the beach to talk to some people and stayed a bit too long. When I came back I had all three of my lines in a mess of grass that I couldn't even real in. I ended up cutting and respooling. I was able to handline my mess in but it wasn't pretty.

The good thing about that grass is it forced you to change your bait about every 15 - 20 min.

I see people posting about crabs, but I didn't have any problems all weekend fishing with crabs.

Well first off thanks to Bill for giving me a ride out! And to Jim for hanging out with us. Also the grub from Amanda!!! I hope I have her name right. On to the fishing....

I started off Thursday evening without much action. Skates here and there and of course blues. I ended up with a big butterfly ray early in the morning. Funny thing about this ray, I think it was hooked by Jim and broke off and came along and the fishfinder got tangled in my hook. I somehow landed the critter without even having a hook in it.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: All day Friday it was bluefish. As many as you wanted and then some. Had to throw heads for the rest of the time. Lousy NE wind.....

Anyway my wife was in town and I called her later in the evening to find out the latest weather report and found the wind was supposed to switch to SE at night. I figured I had to fish hard during this time so all night I was throwing 4 rods. That wind went from NE to E and then SE. Sitting in my chair I could feel it. About the time it went East I started with the sharks. Duskies from the pictures I have seen on this site. Decent size, nice to at least have something to pull drag. These guys were running the clicker pretty good! Keeps the blood pumping. About the time the wind went SE and I felt warm air my heaver bent over. I was using a bluefish head. I figured with so many blues in the wash it was a good idea. Hooked up on something large, doubt a shark, and it screamed off straight offshore. Never caught a red before but this may have been one. Anyway it didn't last long, must have had a nick in my running line because after about 30 seconds the line broke. The fish was still running straight out.:angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7:

I usually try to check my line and shocker around each tide change but running four rods I guess I screwed up and missed one. Anyway a couple of more sharks and that was it for the night. Next day was bluefish again but I was not fishing as hard so to save energy for the night again. The grass kinda put a stop to things during the day. I figured it was not worth it to expend the energy fighthing the grass. While I was fishing it I was throwing heads and 10s. 8s would hold only a couple of minutes or so. Anyway nothing into the early part of the evening and then we had a vehicle problem so we had to leave.

Can't wait to do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got this lounge chair that really helps! Fishing and sitting up in a camp chair for more than 48 hours really saps your energy. But being able to lean back every so often is like a breath of fresh air! Funny thing, each time I go out I find something else that helps conserve energy. I think that is the key with surf fishing. I have picked up some pointers from a bunch of you guys while fishing. Thanks!!!!!!