4 posts in this topic

In a moment of clarity at 4:00 this morning when the kid woke me up I came up with a great rig. It uses products that are already manufactured and are just combined. I haven't drawn out the entire rig but this is the section I am concerned about. After I see how it casts and if it tangles I'll share. It's for fishing conditions with 10's or heavier required but getting away with 6's and 8's for distance. Especially good for tourneys when everyone else has to lob next to shore and you can be the only one way out there. It will allow a FF like run for the fish for up to 10ft before the sinker forces a hook set.

My concern is the swivel to the hook leader riding free on the 150# test. This would be a rig for drum and stripers and may need to handle a 50# fish...not for me but maybe others who would like to try it.

In my mind in a fight the swivel on the 150# leader would butt up against the swivel or a bead. Do you think there is any danger of wearing through the 150# during a battle with the siwvel free riding on it? I guess I'm asking if I need to go heavier on the leader.

rig.JPG.76d1ab24fc4fa23004aa7f10fb8c2451

Interesting Ben...I would think that 150 would work. Are you looking at some kind of pulley rig?? Anyway try it out on the field and let me know how it does.

BTW, you got me practicing that hatteras cast for this weekend. You and Sam know what happens when I wade into the surf and try this....:happy3::happy3::happy3::happy3::happy3: Someone needs to bring a camera!

That rig looks fine Ben. I think you can safely get away with lighter shock though. If you are thinking you need heavier, what about soft or stranded wire? It's basically a hi/lo rig with one hook. My only concern would be a head on there helicoptering, developing lift and slowing the rig down. I think it would be much more amplified not being truly in-line. Maybe trim up the head to make it more aerodynamic.

Bad news for me at least, after putting the rig together and looking at it first hand I made some modifications to it and what I ended up with is not much different then a pulley rig so its probably not worth the extra effort to make this one instead.

The only thing different is the use of a Bass Pro Shops "surf sinker" which will be a real bitch to reel in but could make the difference in enjoying your day fishing or breaking your back. I'd bend the tines over on them selves based on conditions to make it easier to pull in. Basically a pully rig now this this grappling hook on the end to hold bottom in a hard running beach or big swell. Also could buy you a few more minutes when the weeds come in. I only see it as an option in a tournament where you "have" to fish, otherwise I'd wait for the swell/wind to check back into the 8+bait range and enjoy myself. Can't be much more of a PITA then reeling in a 12oz frong tongue.

My original idea looked like this (first pic) on the way out but the ballyhoo wire doesn't provide enough resistance to keep the hook leader in line on the way out with the hook staying on the clip. I still may be able to figure out something with the hoo rigging wire giving only enough tension on the cast but allowing a good size fish pull it lose and run a bit. In the end a pully rig is probably the best to avoid tangles etc.

The end result might as well be a pulley rig as you can see in the second pic. The true pulley would allow the sinker to be far enough away on the retrieve and eliminate tangles etc. My answer on this for now is go to a pulley with the anchor sinker if needed.

I figgured I'd post the "failure" and maybe someone would be able to take it to another level, I'm pretty green and may be missing something.

As far as the casting thing goes, that's the only advantage I can get over MOST of the folks on here, I can't buy years of experience or time reading the water etc. What I can do is try to make sure I can cast the farthest, it may or may not be worth a damn in the end but I'll learn something along the way. I thought I could toss pretty good until fished with Critter Gitter, now I practiced a lot and know I can toss pretty good.

5852a5176aa0d_originalanchorrig.JPG.8bd9

5852a5176e3b0_endinganchorrig.JPG.2cb738

prig.jpg.b5f4315d278a9814b5d2247d388048a