19 posts in this topic

In the surf zone, plenty of sharks and small blues. Still waiting on the reds to start showing. Water temps have been very warm. Hopefully the waters will start to cool by next week.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Feet in the sand yesterday. All the blues you could possibly want. Forget the chunks - gone in seconds.

Scott - If these drum don't show we may be scrambling to catch a 14in king or 18in blue next weekend. Calvin took entire kitty with 18in blue first year.

Scott - If these drum don't show we may be scrambling to catch a 14in king or 18in blue next weekend. Calvin took entire kitty with 18in blue first year.
:confused3:

My wife and I may take a ride down Tuesday PM into Wednesday AM to try some for some red drum. Only problem is, I don't have an OSV permit, I am still waiting for it in the mail. My current one expired in August. Is there a day pass or something we can get or do you think they will be reasonable if I call about it? They should have my payment validated by now. Any suggestions?

How about the fishing? Anything happening down there? North or South part of the isle? I appreciate any advice. I don't come down very often, so I'll take whatever you guys throw at me.

Tight lines!

Steve

Last I heard sharks are in the tournament this year. Judges will be running ragged with toothys this year.....

Can't wait!!!!!!

This prolonged NE should push them out and cool water down bigtime. Hope winds turn by Friday-could be the ticket.

Sat

N winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 4 to 5 ft with a dominant period 4 seconds. A chance of showers in the morning...then a slight chance of showers in the afternoon.

Sat Night

N winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 5 to 6 ft.

Sun

N winds 15 to 20 kt...becoming NE 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas 5 to 6 ft.

Sun Night

NE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 4 to 5 ft.

Mon

NE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 4 to 5 ft.

Mon Night

NE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 5 to 6 ft.

Tue

NE winds 10 to 15 kt...increasing to 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon and evening. Seas 5 to 6 ft.

Wed

NE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 5 to 6 ft.

Friday, 10 am - 9 pm:

OSV north end, surf was pretty heavy, onshore fetch, didn't bother launching the yak. Two second frequency with white water all the way out. Looked Drummy. Water temp way up there, was warmer that the air temp in the evening. Clouds came in and then the rain. Stayed with it and fed the crabs every 10-15 minutes. Used Spot and live mud minners. Floats and fireball rigs didn't work, they found the bait anyway. Nothing to show for it.

Heard of a few small Blues caught down further, that's 'bout it

One elderly gentleman sliced a sidewall on a bottle just before he got back on the blacktop. Dang ppl, clean it up!

Reckon s'pose this cold front might do something, sure feels chilly in this wind today...

Fished from around 6:00pm on Saturday evening until 5:30am and it was completely dead. Nothing! No even a hint of a fish. Didn't even seem like the crabs where out. Fished 4 rods hard all night, half with Bunker and the other half with spot.

Ok heres how bad it was, the Bugs weren't even out. Didn't see one bug all night.

It did get pretty chilly out there as well, we wouldn't have lasted all night if we didn't have a good campfire going.

Fished from around 6:00pm on Saturday evening until 5:30am and it was completly dead. NOthing! No even a hint of a fish. Didn't even seem like the crabs where out. Fished 4 rods hard all night, half with Bunker and the other half with spot.

Ok heres how bad it was, the Bugs weren't even out. Didn't see one bug all night.

It did get pretty chilly out there as well, we wouldn't have lasted all night if we didn't have a good campfire going.

No offense, but that is the best news I have heard lately. I wouldn't mind a few blues (as long as they are not thick), but if I can keep bait in the water without it being DEVOURED by blues, sharks, and crabs I am happy. Can't catch a drum when bait is turned into scraps in minutes.

What a day FRIDAY... I think I saw rain come from the ground up!!! Didn't get any hits... Drowned some bait... Took my niece home Sat mornin... When back down Sat night... And I couldn't explain it any better...DEAD... but when the Sun came up I caught a Buncha Snapper Blues and Flounder... Well I migh have Baited the hooke and thrown the line out and hooked the fish and reeled them in, but my 6 year old caught em! :happy3:

Still Better than a Good Day at work!!!!

5852a517422c2_assateague(70).jpg.49facb8

DSCF1320.jpg.de0a265037b65089017c1bd7c8a

DSCF1323.jpg.f0780385b8cadab50d9e8f9cf6c

DSCF1340.JPG.1112605631a65daa676b09c5d98

DSCF1347.jpg.a1dd77228769046604278f92d25

DSCF1349.jpg.879bf912c9be71b96664ebf8bb7

DSCF1351.jpg.2b22b194fa7ae5174e536b4961c

Nice Report and Pictures Runinbroke. It is great that you had your little one land the fish.

That looks like a vintage GS30 or GS60 gold Daiwa reel on one of those outfits. I have a number of them and they are still working.

Thanks for the repoort

Thanks for the report and pictures!

Nice Report and Pictures Runinbroke. It is great that you had your little one land the fish.

That looks like a vintage GS30 or GS60 gold Daiwa reel on one of those outfits. I have a number of them and they are still working.

Thanks for the repoort

Good Eye! They used to be my Dad's surf Equip and they work as nice as my new stuff!!! I am even still using Dad's Berkley Steel eye 10' surf rods... and they work great! I think they used to be his dads equip! It might not be pretty but it is totally functional!!! :cya:

Yeah the GS series came out in the late 70's and was the first and probably the best skirted spool spinning reels made at the time. It was the predecessor of the BG series which is still available today. The BG's are still one of the most durable reels you can buy for the money. Olympic also offered skirted spool reels about the same time, but they were not the same quality and they fell by the wayside. Berkly also made some, but their rods were better than their reels. Daiwa also came out with some of the first graphite and gaphite composite rods about the same time. I still have friends that fish them 30 years later. Back then Daiwa made stuff the was just about bullet proof. They sure beat the hell out of the Mitchell 302's I had which were open spools and tended to have the bail close in the middle of a cast. The only thing that went up on those GS reels were the bail springs. I don't know if you can still get them, but if anyone would have them it would be Bill at Old Inlet Tackle.

I still have some GS 30's, 60's, and 90's in working order. My 15's and 20's finally gave up the ghost after 25 years of hard fishing. I finally wore out the gears and I could not find replacements.

I have 2 old silver series 450's that my father in-law gave me. I like them better than my newer Penn 550sg reel. Also better than my newer daiwa emcast reel. They just feel more solid. Good to see someone else uses an old daiwa. Now if i could just get some blues or reds on the end on my line, I'd like them a whole lot more! maybe this weekend.

They also made the 7000c silver reels with a manual bail trip. They were truly the most bullet proof reels ever made. I still have two and you can't break them. The only reason I don't fish them anymore is because it is easier to reel the more modern reels that have ball bearing raceways. The still work perfectly. I also have two limited addition 7000 Wisker long cast reels that have stainless steel spool lips, stainless steel gears with ball bearings, and a kevlar body. They were the first reels made with a long cast spools and a line winding mechanism that cross wound the line on the spool so it would come of more easily. I used them so much that the rotors started to wear out and wobble. They were the first competition grade long-cast reels that were ever developed and unfortunately they were only available in England. A few made it over here because a local distributor ordered them by mistake. They are incredibly light, strong and cast a mile. I have not seen anything like them in the past 20 years. They were way ahead of their time and it is a shame the Daiwa does not make anything like them anymore. It also seems like Daiwa not longer tests their new products and that is why their quality has been slipping lately.

Their customer service has also deterriorated and that is why I have switched over to Shimano. Daiwa also made tournament surf rods that were great casting rod and were tough as nails. Most of them were white with black accents and windings. I see that they have brought them back after their fiasco with a newer rod that was incredibly light and had a sigot joint for the ferrels. I blew two of the new rods up on two separate trips and finally asked Cablas for the refund. It looks like they have reworked that rod and it is now the ballista. Daiwa still makes some the longest casting spinning reels made because of the cross winding feature and the long cast spool design. I believe Tica and one other company are now utilizing some of those features on their higher end reels. I wish Shimano would offer those features, then they would have the entire package.

Sorry for the Daiwa history lesson, I hope everyone has good luck this weekend and I hope you catch a fish with a spot on it's tail.