10 posts in this topic

I'm from Florida and new to fishing in the Chesapeake. I'm curious about what kind of tackle is being used and what methods work best for catching Rockfish here? Does anyone here fish for rockfish using a balsa float rig? It's a method we use in Jacksonville that allows you to fish at various depths when targeting suspended strippers.

Well, 1st-off, Welcome Aboard!!

now, most Striper fishing here is either trolling(spring and fall), chumming(late spring to early fall) or casting jigs up in the shallows in the early spring.

right now chumming and trolling are gettin' it done.

what part of the bay will you be fishing and from boat or from shore?

trolling, I use conventinol gear wth 20 to 30lb mono wth 8 to 16oz's of lead & chumming I use spinning gear wth 12 to 15 lb test, using either jigs or live linning spot on a 4/0 to 6/0 hook, some weighted, some not

dont use "floats" so much in the warmer months as the fish are usally deep. but come winter, I will use bobbers and "slip" floats to fish the rivers for Pike, Perch and some Stripers

weclome.

never tried a float rig either. ive had good success in the shallows during the spring season when people are trolling. just gotta have the right bait, but thats true anytime of year

Thanks Randy and Roger for welcoming me to the site!!! I'm glad I found it!!! I love learning new ways to fish. I'll be fishing this weekend in the Annapolis area out of South River. I've been looking at some charts to try and come up with some sort of plan. I know these fish like structure and the Bay Bridge seems close enough or Thomas Point. I figured I would start out by catching some spot and try live lining them. Do you use egg sinkers for weight? How much weight I guess is determined by the current right? How long a leader do you use? Do you know at what depth these stripers usually hold up? Thanks again for all your help.

right now the bulk of the Stripers can be found in 15' to 30' of water, I dont use an egg sinker, I might use a small piece of "split shot" but most of the time I hook my live bait in different spots on the body, this will dictate where in the water column the fish swims.

leader, I'll use @2' of 20/25 lb fluro on the spinning reels and on the trolling rods, 50 to 80lb fluro and anywhere from 20' to 30' long

A few years ago, a friend turned me on to fishing with a float. I use this float mainly in the fall when casting structures and shorelines for Rockfish. We use a clapper in-line float, the same that you would use when surf fishing. You can tie any lure on the end of the float, but I have found that this rig works best when I am fishing top water, hence the reason I usually only use this rig in the fall. Tie a nice sized pencil lure and clapper to a light weight rig and go have some fun in October. I fish the bay a little more North than most reports I read on here, but this rig should work anywhere in the bay.:happy3:

Excellent Guys!! I look forward to putting all the information to good use this weekend.

BTW, is a clapper rig something like a Cajun Thunder, where it has two weighted balls, a float and two glass beads all connected on a strait wire with swivels on both ends? If it is, I used them before down in Florida fishing for Trout and Reds in the backwater of the Inner Coastal. Great rig!!!

Thanks again guys!

i've been live lining spot, but about a week ago the rock seem to have dispersed. The guys I know that are out there often, have said the big blues came in and scattered the rock, I hope to be out this weekend and check on the blues, I'll troll tubes around the stone rock, wish you luck and let us know how you do.

BTW, is a clapper rig something like a Cajun Thunder, where it has two weighted balls, a float and two glass beads all connected on a strait wire with swivels on both ends? If it is, I used them before down in Florida fishing for Trout and Reds in the backwater of the Inner Coastal. Great rig!!!

Thats the exact rig I use. It makes a tremendous amount of noise when used and will get your rig noticed. Even in schooling fish, I seem to get more of bite than when using my lure with no noise.

Mike