10 posts in this topic

I just recently purchased a new 10ft rod/reel combo: Penn - Spinfisher 8500SS Reel - Outer Banks CP10SCT Spining Rod Combo.

This is an upgrade. Was using a 9 ft rod/reel that was willed to my by my late grandfather for the last 17 yrs. Unfortunately, the reel is failing and the rod is falling apart. So my wife got me a new rod/reel for my b-day.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for type and strength of test line to using for surf fishing out of Cape Henlopen? My reel can hand 15-30 lb line. Thanks.

everyone has a personal preference. i like 17lb tritanium w/ 80lb shock leader

Depending on what type of fishing you are doing. For stripers and other large fish, Roger has the right idea. I use 40lb shock leader (easier for me to tie).

sam, i use an albright for the line leader connection and a palomar on the swivel end.

Thanks Roger. Do you have problems winding the 80lb onto your reel? Of course, it may be different for conventional vs spinning.

im using it on the avet and on my wifes diawa spinner with no problems so far

I use 17 -20 lb mono with a 40-50lb shockleader. I've casted up to 8 oz. with a big head and had no problems as of yet.

80lb shock on conv here...50lb on spinners

Only time I have a problem is when the grass is thick on the knot...that can be true for any lb line though.

Berkley big game shock (electric blue) to 17 lb or 20lb sufix Tri

Improved albright to connect the two (with a dot of super glue)

I am working on learning the bimini so I can use a no name knot to connect the two.