5 posts in this topic

Got it on Wednesday, all the parts came in today for the build.

I'm going to try and wrap it to look like a drum, gold wraps etc.

So far I only stripped off the shrink on the handle, I may play with it a little tonight, at 14' there are a lot of guides to wrap.

It is LONG but so pretty man, just like my AFAW Rock. I can't wait to toss it. Working on a drum run here soon, fingers are crossed.

Pairing it with another torium 20 that I'll mag this weekend.

Nice Ben - I believe you are becoming an out and out victim of G.A.S.

If I got another rod, I would definitely check out those AFAW blanks though - Heard so many good things.

Looking forward to seeing your pics and your report after casting it!

Steve they are definitely incredible blanks, incredibly expensive as well. By the time you add in the blank, parts and reel I'm into a $600 setup, that's with building it myself!

I'm definitely a gear junky man, my rebuilt OM Cape Points don't get out tossed by that much, is 20 yards worth $250...apparently to me it is...

I used to worry about a burglar getting my guns...now it's my surf setups!

This 14'er is going to be the cannonball rod or even the bloodworm rod, out and over the bar no sweat with an 8.

Glad you got it!

My 13' Beach is ready for me and waiting. Gonna pick it up tomorrow and go make some birds nest for sure!:icon_tongue:

I had to finish my neglected post. I really botched the build on this rod to begin with, I double wrapped it in “drum gold” and it looked really sharp unfinished. I used madiera ‘a’ thread, well in my haste to get it drying I totally forgot this is not NCP thread and put the epoxy on. Well the madiera thread is very silky and turned almost transparent when wet…On top of that the baby started flipping out and I had to stop mid wrap, it dried for a week and then I had to tear down and “rebuild” my brand spanking new $300 blank…ugh. Stripped it all down and glossed the blank back up and wrapped again not forgetting the color preserver. You would never know it is a rebuild, it came out fantastic and is very simple and clean, I’ll post pics tonight finally.

I casted it and fished it once, oddly I was getting more distance with 10oz then with 8 but I think this is due to too much braking on my reel and the added inertia of the 10oz. 14’ is a lot of rod to get used to and each time out I get more distance which is all you can ask for. I cast it just about as far as the 13’ AFAW rock I have, and oddly enough even by absolutely crushing it I only gain 5 yds on the field as opposed to just easing into it which is nice. I really like the rod and it will excel once I get broken in, right now I’m the one holding it back. I can toss it a LONG way but its not my favorite rod to cast but over time it will help me dial in my ‘technique’ which right now it non-existent. The biggest difference for me is laying my hatteras back at even 9 or 10 o’clock as opposed to 7-8 with the 13’ and 6-7 with a 12’. Once I get the timing down everything will really come into place. Its also a lot of rod to handle waist deep in the wash. Unless you can generate a lot of power and are comfortable handling a lot of rod, stay away form the big beach, time will tell for me! I’m cautiously optimistic right now.

I took it to the field on Sunday again and tried some things…mostly going backwards in distance for the first half of the session. I then switched back and added some yardage on top of where I was before so all in all it was a good session. If and when I break 600’ with 8oz it will probably be with this rod.

oh yeah, 1st cast last week 4.5 sandbar so I guess it has decen juju.