2 posts in this topic

PRESS RELEASE September 6, 2007

For Immediate Release Contact: Walt Tegge

757-721-2412

BACK BAY REFUGE DEFERS

NIGHT SURF FISHING PROGRAM

Virginia Beach, Virginia - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today announced the deferral of a proposal that would have allowed seasonal night surfing fishing on the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge oceanfront.

By federal regulation, the Refuge is only open to fishing and other appropriate outdoor recreation opportunities from one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. According to Refuge Manager Jared Brandwein, night fishing beyond these hours cannot be permitted without changing the Code of Federal Regulations (50 CFR, Part 26.34) that specifically addresses public access at Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Brandwein indicated that the Refuge will be exploring the possibility of accomplishing this change in the coming months.

Meanwhile, the Refuge oceanfront will remain open for public surf fishing within the legal hours stated.

Established in 1938, Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge is an important link for waterfowl and other birds migrating along the Atlantic Flyway. The Refuge is located adjacent to the Sandbridge community in southeastern Virginia Beach. Further information can be had by calling the Refuge at (757) 721-2412.

--- FWS ---

I guess they didn't want to mention the lawsuit or moratorium, but I guess I understand.

I spoke with Lee Tolliver at the VA Pilot today and confirmed he spoke to Walt Tegge at the refuge as well. He hopes the story is ready for this Sunday's paper!