6 posts in this topic

I sent this e-mail to Lee Tolliver of the Virginia Pilot (newspaper) tonight in hopes of getting some attention to the cancelled night surf fishing at Back Bay NWR. I am hoping Lee will pick up the story and give it some attention so the public can see how much work went into this only to have the rug pulled out from under our feet.

If you want to e-mail Lee Tolliver asking him to shed some light on this issue, please feel free to e-mail him at:

Lee.Tolliver@pilotonline.com

I am also working on some type of correspondence to the US FWS as well. Will keep all in the loop as we move forward with this!

Thanks for all the support!

Lee,

Virginia Coastal Access Now along with many other people have been working closely with Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) to enhance the public's access to the Refuge by creating night time surf fishing. This wildlife activity was planned for October's annual Red Drum Migration. The staff at Back Bay NWR has been doing a commendable job during this whole process which started in January 2007. Unfortunately, I received word from Mr. Walt Tegge, Supervisory Outdoor Recreational Planner, for the Refuge that the night time surf fishing for this year was just cancelled due to a Federal moratorium. The moratorium is on any proposed changes to wildlife activities at all Federal Refuge's due to a pending lawsuit with the US Fish and Wildlife Service. This litigation and subsequent moratorium has resulted in the cancellation of the planned night time surf fishing. This is a real disappointment to the Refuge staff that have been working to make it happen and all the surf fishing anglers up and down the east coast who had planned to fish Back Bay NWR this October for Red Drum. Many of these surf fisherman are also members of the Virginia Game Fish Tagging Program and had planned on providing valuable fisheries data to the tagging program and the VMRC on Red Drum.

I know that Back Bay and it's staff have done nothing wrong and had the rug pulled out from under their feet, but we hate to see all of their work go to waste for this year. Mr. Tegge mentioned that he would be glad to explain all the details of this issue to you (or to others in the media) and how it has prevented them from promoting wildlife activities and enhanced public access to the Refuge.

We really think this would be a great story to follow up on for all of the public to know what has really happened and how much the staff at Back Bay has poured into this event only to have it cancelled.

I have attached documentation from VCAN that we sent to Back Bay NWR along the way supporting them in their efforts to make this event happen.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me.

I really wanted to tag some drum with ya too man.....

Nice email to Tolliver. Hopefully he picks it up and runs with it for us.

Hey Dixie, sent it to Andy Fox he seems to be a real go getter. What do they call it 10 on your side?

Talked with Lee Tolliver today and he is trying to get this story ready for this Sunday's Virginia Pilot. He is trying to contact Walt Tegge from Back Bay as we speak.

AMSA,

Andy does a different type of media overage, but he has been a great asset to us on some other stories! Lee has helped us before publizing this event at the refuge, so i wanted to stick with who originall hepled us on this.

Glad your interested about the issue and thanks for the feedback.