Guest mdram

caonventioanl castin

7 posts in this topic

this was my first night trip with the avet. ive gotten used to watching the bait and stopping the spool, during the day.

whats the best method at night? so far no blow ups, but i may be cutting some distance off.

I try and listen to my reel. I can usually hear a change in sound right before the fluff starts. Then you just need to develop a quicker trigger finger (or thumb).

At night I usually set my mags a little stronger as well just to help compensate for not being able to see the bait hit the water. Yes I do lose distance but it keeps me from blowing up at night.

Also a little fluff is to be expected at night, at least until you are really really good with your reel.

Your arc will peak not far from your landing zone so once the spool slows down you're generally in good shape and it won't cost you too much distance. Hell at night all you need is fitty yards anyway so its not really an issue of losing 5-10 yards of distance. IMO you're better off having a bait in the water at night then you are picking a blowup.

Ahhh night time casting!!!!

I had a few close calls and one disaster at night with my avet....I found the key for me is to keep my arc high (i did a few line drives into a wave and didn't expect the bait to be hitting the water so fast). Assuming a normal arc, I just wait for the spool to just start to fluff and stop it dead ...cause i assume the bait has hit the water then).

I think after you do it for a while you develop a 6th sense for it - i just haven't gotten there yet.

Just curious....always used spinners, how much more distance do you normally get with a conv?

right away not much probably. Last year I could cast them equal distances over grass, now that I learned a lot and magged my reels I get about another 80 yards over grass.

In a fishing situation probably less then 20yds with a normal size chunk or head, the smaller the bait the bigger the difference. For a gear junkie like me, its all about that additional 20yds, the supped up drags and the clickers...especially the clickers, ain't nothing like when that sucker starts screaming!

i agree with ben, once you learn to tweek your conventional reels with magnets and such you can really get the feel and manage that distance. i was amazed at how my abu's are so user friendly. most of my blow ups happened while having a few beers and really over casting the rod. stupid beer!!!!!!!