12 posts in this topic

what about whole live crabs on a fish finder rig?

Edited by Sam

I gotta say peelers would be infinitely better, and with distance being a big key to drummin a whole crab would be crippling. Folks do catch them on non-peeler crabs though, I'd think dead and cut would be better so they don't burrow and hide.

I'd personally rank it below bunker due to scent, peeler would go above bunker...

spot-peeler

fresh bluefish

bunker

I think I'd end up with all 4, I'll get some spot, peeler, and bunker and end up catching some blues, all gets used and has worked for other folks...just not for me.

now a live peeler de-legged and yakked out to the bar, now we're talking drum bait!

was wondering, as i fished an area this weekend that was loaded with fidlers and ghost crabs. was thinking of catching a few, taking the claws off, maybe legs and tossing em out next time i go

I like how D E-legged turned into delaware legged...too funny.

I've tossed those little buggers out without success, can't hurt! I don't think they disperse enough scent.

well them maybe a slab o bunker up the line a bit, make it seem like the crab is feedin on it.

what self respecting drum could resist that?

I actually wonder about that alot, especially after catching my drum last year on a bunker chunk that hooked a live blue. How often do other critters attract predatory species to our chunked baits?

Say the stripers are feeding on calicos and come up on one eating your bunker and engulf the whole package, or drum coming up on snappers pecking your bait, and take a swipe grabbing your hook as well. There really is no way to know, but it'd be nice to take advantage of it when possible. If I get out I plan on exploiting it a bit this season by casting multiple small baits on 8/0 octupus hooks on droppers, hoping to hook a snack size blue like last year but leaving it for dead out on the hook. Just gives you more bait in the water and maybe some live action if you get lucky.

I've tied up a few double hook ff rigs, nail knotting/snelling one hook above the other, works good for a mullet, 1 hook in head 1 in tail.

Might put bunker on top hook, crab on bottom and give it a try.

It's about 3" from hook to hook, and @ 3" from top hook to swivel

Fresh Spot

Spot Heads

Fresh Blue

Cobb Mullet

Peeler

Bunker

*They love calico crabs too!

Edited by Sam

nothing on the virginia website about them, ive email about it