7 posts in this topic

I am fishing the tournament in three weeks and am wondering if floats will work on reds. I remember how bad the crabs were in the November tournament. INSANE!!! Anyway if they are bad again I am wondering if those bluefish floats will work for reds.

Anyone ever try this?

First Drum I ever saw caught was on a fireball big bluefish rig by Coleman like 27 yrs ago. He caught another one on little bluefish float few years back. I caught one, one year bottom fishin that had a fireball rig already stuck in his mouth so I think you probably could catch one that way.

Thanks Dave, something to go to if the crabs are thick. I'd prefer not to use this rig if I can get away with it....

It probably won't be crabs phil, likely be snappers that are stealing bait. I say if it aint broke...

I would think drum would like those little crabs! I know I have found a lot of them in stripers. It's the rays I can't stand while drum fishing.

The thing I don't like about floats is they put more resistance on your bait.

That huge Drum I caught September before, was on a yakked-out Chark rig.

I had a piece of 3" foam (pool noodle) tied to a swivel which held the slab about 2' off the bottom.

Didn't seem to bother that big boy....

Mix it up, try everything, ya never know!!!

you can make your own drum rigs and control the distance from the bottom. you can even use smaller floats(walleye floats work well). drum will hit a surface lure at times also.