ffemtreed

Check Out the end of this article. More people trying to limit our access

8 posts in this topic

ummm how does the beach traffic affect the bay? how many people actually go to that side?

The more I think about this traffic thing the more and more it doesn't make any sense.

If beach traffic was causing problems (big if) with water quality, wouldn't the millions of vehicles that enter the park be the cause. I mean only a very small amount of OSV traffic is using the park as compared to the number of total vehicle that enter the park. They drive just as close if not closer to the bay water as the OSV traffic. How can you just blame the OSV traffic.

I am sure there a lot more things affecting water quality in a much bigger fashion than the OSV traffic.

Something just does not seem right with this article, I mean the beach traffic was just kinda thrown in at the end with no real point justifying it as a cause. Whereas all the other points this study made had numbers and justifications made.

Seems to me like a lobbying group got its fingers in the cookie jar here and persuaded this group to include some kind of statements that OSV traffic is harming the island, even if they couldn't justify it.

bsflag.gif.7c50ed195ee336177656c74cfd5e5

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. As to overpopulation by ponies and deer, don't they hunt the deer? And, if they sold off 1/2 the herd, they wouldn't have to raise the ORV fees next year. Even better, they could corral them at the campground and charge for drunken pony rides.

Yeah I think ya'll read it as it was typed. I read it to say "there are C bay water problems, and we'd like to pile on the ORV access train as well...here is an unfounded recommendation with no support or reasoning"

I think these folks are the least of our problems. Likely a blanket recommendation of all parks to discontinue ORV access, even though 4wd on the beach is totally different then other dirt off roading areas.

Having said that, with more and more groups piling on it will keep getting tougher to find objective folks to put in charge.

Unless they make it a no tresspassing beach I'll still fish it in my normal haunts, it will just be more expensive and more work to do it.

I guess we should all go live in caves so we don't affect any wildlife.

Why have ANYTHING if we can't go out and enjoy it.

Start taking pics of ppl riding the dunes and turn them in, that's about all we can do as a user of the park. Don't cut off access to all because of a few, aggressively go after the offenders. Put up a sign that reads $1000 fine for riding the dunes. Use the seasonal staff to help catch them.

As for the runoff, the former MD Gov Parasite Spendenning said he was going to implement a plan to reduce the nitrogen runoff from cultivated fields. Did it happen? Nope. This would have helped the back area of AI in VA too. VA & MD should revisit that idea.

Extend the hunting season and bag limit on the Sika. Sell some of the horsies. There are so many things that can be done instead of sticking their heads in the sand and saying no no no.

Pack out more trash than you came in with. Every time, no exceptions. Quit leaving piles of wood and fire pits exposed. Pack it out and fill it in. Walk 100 yards in each direction of your setup and pick up the trash. Just quit sitting around waiting for someone else to "fix" the problem.

Some of these things may seem small in comparison to the big picture, but it takes small brush strokes to create an entire painting. Pick up a brush!

In all of this the comment was made about the water quality in the chincoteague bay area ----- they need to look into the whole septic aspect of chincoteague island. There is NO wastewater treatment on the island, so with all the development and huge hotels and condos and townhouses where does all that sewage go?????????

I use to have a annual camp site at maddocks for years, I have since left because AIV constantly is restricting the fisherman, first thing that is cut off every year is the ORV, they have even moved the poles out so close to the water that a normal high tide is washing past them so you can't be out during high tide. Then if you try to park and walk out to fish the tourist try to croud you out and the rangers are no help at all, but if they get a hook in them they want to sue you. I have been down there when we only had about a 100 yards of beach open --- birds nesting --- but every half hour or so there was a park vehicle going up or down the beach, when I inquired about all that traffic I was told they were college students doing research, maybe if you are in college you have a special kind of tire that doesn't run over baby birds. I think before long all the tree huggers at AIV will stop all OSV use and then AIM will be the next target, I hope that I am wrong, I have gone to Assateague Island all of my life and have seen many changes and I see this coming.

One of the biggest things that has hurt the true fisherman is the advent of the SUV, now every tourist wants to go ride down the beach in their SUV.

LORD help us all

That last line hit the nail right square on the head Gonefishin ! I can't believe how many people spend the money on the permit, ride to the fence turn around head off and not come back to next year .