13 posts in this topic

Well,

Red tide in the Bay in areas, water temps in the low 80's and hotter than heck outside.

Think I'm taking some time out and getting situated for the fall run of spot then drum. Will wait for the weather and water temps to start getting lower then be ready to go.

Gonna change my line, tie on new shock, buy some 8/0 or 9/0 Owner SSW J hooks a few circle hooks and get ready to rumble.

Hopefully got a new AFAW 13' Beach blank coming at me from fishsticks4u and will be getting that built as well.

Will be checking in daily, but reports from me will slow here for a few weeks.

Out till later!

nice on the AFAW! :blob1: I have a Big Beach coming, then which ever I like better between the Rock and BB I'll get another one of. I'd like to throw the beach, just scared I'll make it a tad soft.

You'll love it!

yeah I've been tossin the rock for about 6 weeks.

PB 10oz 188yds...no chit. Consistently around 500' though, not sure where the 188 came from. 8oz goes FAR in to the woods!

Hmmm....I was wondering what to get the Beach or the Rock. I was worried the Rock may be too stiff, so i decided on the Beach. I'm hoping the Beach will throw 8 + Bait.

What do you think the two would compare to? Would you say the Beach is more like a 1502RS and the Rock like a 1509or 1569RS? I know it's hard to compare the two, but what do you think???

There is no comparison unfortunately.

I'd say it's got the mid section of a 1509 with the tip of a 1502, it's very soft but strong as hell. The tip top is only a 8 or 9 compared to a 12 on the 1509. It will have good bite detection even on snappers. The rod is parabolic so the stiff section is the mid and the butt and top will load, I guess that is how they get away with the softer tip. I can't break it and don't even feel I'm maxing it with 10oz.

Tommy says the beach is most comparable to the fusion but will still have the characteristics of the rock that I mentioned. I think you'll absolutely love it, 8+bait will be a dream. I think 8+big bait or a bunker head will be a bit much though, you're approaching 12oz at that point. Ya'll don't striper fish much from shore down there so needing to toss a head and 8 or more isn't an issue. It will be a fantastic drum stick because of the softer tip and the ability to bomb the weights out there. Don't read that to say soft rod, while the tip is soft and great for bite detection and fighting fish the design of the rod will be very strong overall.

Tommy recommended the Rock to me because of my violent casting style and the payloads I wanted to be able to use. I wanted to be able to throw up to 14oz total over 100 yards on sand, a tough task for any rod. the Rock will do it, the BB might do it but I know the beach couldn't. Once I have the heavy weights I'll look for some lighter stuff for more friendly conditions and the beach will be on the top of the list.

just some perspective a 1569 is too soft for me and I have no problem loading a 1509, the Rock loads up instantly but is not soft, I've even thrown 6oz in the field with it, it don't go as far as an 8 but still over 450'.

I would't worry about rod weight either, sounds like you do just as much spike fishing as I do, you only hold the thing for 2 minutes at a time. Point fishing is another story.

HEY STEVE WHAT THE HECK IS THE $600 VCAN ROD I HAVE THATS TOO LONG FOR ME AND I WILL NEVER USE ALONG WITH THE OTHER 3 I HAVE ?

HEY STEVE WHAT THE HECK IS THE $600 VCAN ROD I HAVE THATS TOO LONG FOR ME AND I WILL NEVER USE ALONG WITH THE OTHER 3 I HAVE ?

thats gonna be my new rod....

ok good now i know, i thought it was a lamiwhatever 15 oh xx, i know its about 26 feet long .......

COME GET IT ANDY.....ITS A SHAME TO GO TO WASTE IN MY GARAGE ........I REAL SURF FISHERMEN NEEDS IT.......

... REAL SURF FISHERMEN NEEDS IT.......

And your giving it to Andy????:icon_tongue::icon_tongue::icon_tongue:

And your giving it to Andy????:icon_tongue::icon_tongue::icon_tongue:

i know i was gonna say that...