Guest mdram

guard your wallet

8 posts in this topic

no worries from me, once I cross the bridge I'm mom and pop all the way...with the exception of some flats from KI on the longer trips, even then I make sure to stop and get terminal gear from Bev and Terry.

As much as anyone else, I like a good deal. But I also like the service and uniqueness of the little places. The Mayor is being a typical politician, thinking more taxes in her coffers.

The big box has the tendency to smother the little box, always has, always will. Hopefully the little folks will keep a select group that cherish the personalized service a little box can offer.

At least there will be more jobs for the locals. I wonder if their benefits are better than Wally World's....

I'm on the fence with this one.

I have a very simple thought on this:

If you do not buy at the Harbor Tackles of the world where you gonna get bait at 6:00 am? I know HT doesn't make much on bait due to the high cost of getting the high end well maintained stock they carry. Those shops need to make it up via tackle and gear which is where the big guys put the hurt on them via purchasing prowess.

So what if I pay $10 more for some gear, I'm dropping so much in gas, food, bait it gets petty at that point. The reports, service, and consistent flow of grade A bunkah make it well worth it. If not fresh will be a thing of the past.

I'm going so far as to stop asking for gear as gifts because my net savy family members save some huge coin buying on line but I'd rather put it where I think it should go...I mean, I'm going to buy it anyway...

If we keep on keepin' on like we have been we'll only have Cabela's & Wal-Mart...

the advantage is you can use it as a place to compare alot of stuff side by side hands on that the little stores dont have in stock.

but you then feel comfortable about having the small store order it for you, you dont have to spend a dime there. just use it like a research library :)

If we keep on keepin' on like we have been we'll only have Cabela's & Wal-Mart...

SteveZ,

I'm 28 now, I can see a time when I will be ordering frozen bunker via the net before I hang up my sand spikes...a sad thought. Until then I'll do my best to keep it going.

Hell, the way we're going there won't be any bunker left anyhow, can't blame that on Bass Pro unless they are in Omega's pocket...a rant for another thread though...

Oh Gawd guys..... Are you like this when they Announce the Newest Wal-Mart coming to town?????????

No! Don't answer that....

The mom and pop tackle shops like HT, Ricks, Lewes Harbor, etc..will ALWAYS have a place and don't see it Ever being Replaced by a Cabela's.

I LOVE going to Cabela's during the year - when I have the time - But, I still SPEND THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Dollars (maybe even 10K per year) at the small bait & tackle shops I visit Each and Every time I go fishing.

Did you ever think about that Cabela's catalog that is sitting on your kitchen table OR next to the pooper that you read time and time again?? I'm certain it has an EFFECT on the small bait and Tackle shop Sales!

I do!

I think it actually HELPS them SELL more Tackle, Lures, Rods, Reels, etc... Cabela's is Spending the MILLIONS on advertising the products inside thier store when in FACT the small little tackle shop can get the same thing and REEPS the rewards from the Cabela's for advertising.

I think I've purchased 95% of my Cabela's earmarks from either Ricks B&T, Hook 'em and Cook 'em or Lewes Harbor.

So........ Go catch some fish!

Are you like this when they Announce the Newest Wal-Mart coming to town?????????

Yup. Hate Wal-Mart.