17 posts in this topic

Fishing is a bit slow but there are some of the usual summertime fish being caught with a few sharks in the mix.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

This report is a little late, but fished AI all day Saturday 8/18 with Mighty Quinn (and our families). Fishing was terrible! Using 9 rods and all kinds of bait, we only pulled in 3 small Hardheads all day. :dontknow: A few hits on mullet rigs, but no fish, just mullet heads left on. (I remember when I had a mullet haircut!) Anyway, one of my daughters had an interesting and great find while between the ruts and the dunes. :icon_thumright: Here's a couple pictures.

Arrowhead.jpg.4ebca3725de21b355dcdf108e2

5852a5162f67a_RachelandArrowhead.jpg.321

Very cool find!

Yaked some baits out yesterday in somewhat tough conditions...nothing.

Hey All, had a great time thrusday am. 6 blues, 2 flounder, and 2 skate. Nothing big, but I took the day off just to do my 2 hour drive at 4 in the morning! so to me this was pay dirt. I almost had my first double, my high-low rig had a hit on it; I hooked him, and reeled him in. It was a blue; but the surge was rough yesterday and it actually sucked him back out... 10 seconds later when i reeled him back again, he was gone, and there was a skate instead.:cussing:. Ugly f'er. I think the skate must have been on the bottom rig before, I just didn't get it in close enough and thought the blue was fighting extra hard. Good luck, I can't wait for my first fall season out there. Took some pics yesterday. My god its hard to fish by youself and try to take pictures of something that doesn't want to pose.

100_3004.1.JPG.9987f149e0e99dde84c9025b9

Those arrowheads are a super cool find!

The Gingaskin clan of the Accomacks comprised the vast majority of the survivors. Today evidence of their fondness for seafood can still be found in ancient shell middens (refuse) buried along creek beds, reminders of centuries of shellfish harvesting. Their arrowheads and tools are also known to wash up with the tides.

This applies mainly to the inland areas, but plenty of evidence has been found to indicate they also used Assateague.

Notice he said "find" not removed....

Did the young ones pull in any of what you caught?

For the bite-offs, use a 2nd hook near the tail, that'll nab 'em!

Great report, L8vceagle. Glad you had fun and caught some fish! How big were the flounder?

Illegal to remove relics from National Seashores & Parks.

one flounder was about 15 inches, got' em with a small white bucktail jig 6 ft out, and the other was about 6 - 8 inches. Seriously, It was so small I have no idea how I hooked him. And he hit on a 3 inch. piece of finger mullet on a float:dontknow:. Honoree little thing! It really looked as if I caught my finger mullet with the flounder as bait.

Steve,

Thanks for the info on the arrowhead, and

SteveZ,

We checked with a Ranger and he advised us that relics and mammal bones can't be removed from the island. Thanks for the reminder.

Hit the beach Friday with a friend for a few hours got in to some small blues and flounders, out of the four flounders one keeper at 18" all flounders hit on blue fish. Not going to be long now for some reds...:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

A few blues and a couple kingfish from Assateague yesterday. Still slow going for me.

went out last night, caught two small sandbars both had a lot of fight to em. and ironically they were caught on my bait pole. also had two break offs (man i am done with braid.)

I don't use braid at night, for that very reason.

Too many toothies running 'round with their mouths open....