11 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, My name is Richard I will be relocating to the myrtle beach area in mid september 2007. I would love to get more information on fishing in the area and because of my inexperience will need a lot of advice. Any help that you could provide would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance..

Richard

I don't know too much, but I think there are a few piers there that can produce some nice cobia and kings!

I'm sure you will have plenty of areas to fish, just gonna have to adapt to tourists in the summer. Man that place gets freaking crowded when school let's out!

Look forward to your reports when you get down there!

I was actually planning the same move, so i've done alot of research. Are you planning on fishing from the beach, pier, boat ? What part of Myrtle are you looking to relocate to? What types of fish are you planning to target.

I was actually planning the same move, so i've done alot of research. Are you planning on fishing from the beach, pier, boat ? What part of Myrtle are you looking to relocate to? What types of fish are you planning to target.

I took the family on a road trip there in 06 and we fished a bit from the piers it was fun but no fish of any size. I would be looking to get into surf casting a bit more due to the fact its affordable and can be done quick notice. I wanted to charter with Capt Dicks thought a deep sea trip would be fun to. So to answer i guess surf casting would be the thing im most interested in becoming proficient at. So what would be good equipment to start with and proper rigging for a good day.. Also do i need a license to fish from the sand especially since im not a resident yet? Would be interested in getting some fishing buddys right away so if you know of anyone.. let me know.. Oh ya were lookin in the garden city, surfside, or even little river depends on housing.. I will be in ocean lakes or pirateland for several months while looking for suitable house and area..

Ok, don't rule out Pawley's Island...its a little further south and not quite as touristy as the other places you mentioned. I would start out going to surfside pier...the local guys there are great and will teach you alot if #1 You're willing to learn, #2 you don't walk in like you know everything #3 if you just sit back and watch.....Buy a cheap 15' rod (I used the Daiwa Eliminator) and start Jigging for mackerel. You'll catch plenty of blues and greenbacks that you can hand off to the guys who are Kingfishing Off the end of the pier..that will get you into their good graces and the information will start flowing quicker. Sharks are always a plus down there....you can catch the nice sharks through the end of oct from the beach, however you have to get out of Horry County...so drive south to Pawley's Island, go to the south inlet and chunk baits.....I was down last summer and it was insane action....almost non-stop. The water is very shallow around there....You have to go out 30 miles just to hit the 100' mark. Oh, yes, you do need a license to fish from the sand. The only place you can fish without one is on a charter or a pier. If you are feeling frisky, walk out to the end of the jetty in Murrell's Inlet (northern end) and set up to fish.....be prepared to stay there a while as the center floods during high tide and you're stuck until the tide goes back down. Fish the rocks for Sheepshead (using sand fleas or fiddler crabs) and chunk a piece of bait out. I've seen HUGE schools of Bull Reds in that area. The area also hold King Mackerel so a live bait may work too. Bluefish School up in the inlet from time to time and can provide a great day fishing if you get into them...anything shiny and they are on.....I do have one buddy down there who fishes...I'll see about getting you his info, I know his wife cut him down to only fishing 4 days a week...(must be nice huh)......

Well a little bit of an update..

I've finally made the move from Arizona to South Carolina. Im renting a house in Garden City. Picked up descent mid level surf pole and Penn Emcast 4500 reel and I was on my way. Picked up a cast net to and learned to throw it a bit.. My first day caught my own bait and caught 10 fish from the surf just south of Garden City Pier. One problem is I dont know what Im catching sooooo, I threw most back except one that a fella said was a Blue and not good to eat, (I used him for bait)

Second time out first cast and hooked a 4' or so shark that came out of the water twice spinning like a torpedo he then busted me off and was gone I was shaking for five minutes it was very cool. I proceeded to catch 7 more 1 to 2 pound fish all looked like sea trout or something I got to get a thing with pictures so I know what im doing here.

I'll report back with more I'm going out Sunday the 14th

Good job catching all those fish!

Sounds like a spinner or blacktip shark you had there.

I would take pictures of all the fish you catch and post them on the board. I am sure one of us will ID it for you.

Yep, prolly a Spinner fer sure....

Was fun while ya had it on, eh?

Congrats on making the move! That was a long trip. Did you move for work or????

Bluefish is fine for eating. Just cut out the dark meat in the center before cooking, much like any other fish. Bake it, grill it, whatever!

Yeah, it tastes like a fish and not real bland. But that's what I love about eating Blues! They're GREAT smoked too, find some and taste it.

Pretty much any of the rigs that we use up in the mid-atlantic, you can use too. We have a lot of the same fish. Live bait in the net, good deal, best there is. Hook it between the dorsal and tail and toss it out! May want to use a little bit of soft wire at the hook though, never know what will bite the line.

You are in a great place, enjoy it!

Check out Charleston for the Reds.

Sharks??? Don't get caught targetting Sharks anywhere in Horry county....you will get fined and possibly hauled off to the pokey :) Good job on the fish...trout is a good possibility, if you like Garden City pier...you should drive up the beach to Surfside....I find it holds a few more locals, that are willing to help you out...not to mention it allows kingfishing and fishing off the end of the pier.....Give it a shot...my favorite pier in the area..

Next time the digital goes with. I didnt get to fish on sunday as expected but im trying to get out this weekend. To reply to Steve I dont have work as of yet Im getting my real estate lic. (taking a break that was a long drive) I did realize that fishing for shark was illegal in Horry but I found out that i was actually in Georgetown County when i hooked him (south of Garden City pier about a half mile or so) its legal there right? I have one question though, Ive seen that many are posting that you need a fishing lic to fish from surf and i asked the local bait shop in G.C. and owner said you dont need it. Looked into the regs and couldnt find it in there either so im a bit confused.

If anybody is gonna be in the area and ready to fish let me know I'll try to be there. (weekends mostly)

yes, as far as I know shark fishing is legal everywhere in Georgetown county. And as far as the license goes....I always buy one when I'm there. I believe you DO need one to fish the ocean. The piers cover you under their license..I'd invest in one to be on the safe side, they aren't expensive.