7 posts in this topic

Got myself a Ho ride today and left Salt ponds at 6am and headed towards bluefish rock for some late season cobia. Seas were a bit choppier than expected, but we decided to anchor up anyway.

Set out the Chum Bucket then put out the lines. Bait was live spot, live eel's, live crab, live croaker and some frozen bunker. Wind and current were playing against each other for some time, but finally was manageable. Nothing happening so we threw over the small rods to see if anything was even there.

Well the place was littered with all kinds of bait as we caught small Croaker, Scup's, Pigfish, Sea Bass, Bluefish and even two small Flounder. So no doubt there was plenty to choose from, just no takers. At around noon we picked up and headed to see if there were any spadefish to be had where some were reported the day before.

Set up there and broke out the clams, but no takers. Did see a guy near us pull out two keeper flounder, so we started to target them. Using some squid strips on bucktails and other jigs, we managed to pull up some more croaker, and tiny Sea Bass accompanied by the good ole Oyster Toad as well.

Plenty of small fish today and 7 species at that, which I thought was kinda impressive. Nice to be back out on the bay again, but can't wait till the end of September!

Nice day to be out and not get beat up by the sun.

Who were you hoin' with?

I knew what baot he was on when he said salt ponds, where did you look for spades at ? ..........you know where I went.......185 mile run out and back....gaffed 2 and boxed em......long run home......more when pics arrive.

J,

How was the wind headed out? We were going to go a bit further, but there was chop and 3-4 footers at times.

Didn't feel like beating the tar out of ourselves.

Thanks for the report, Dixie.

185 mile run? I hope that was round trip!