15 posts in this topic

I have tried to catch small spot numerous times in O.C. with little or no luck. I have used sabiki rigs etc. with fishbites BW, chicken, clam small pieces of fish etc. I have fished the flats by rte 90 bridge, behind assateague and numerous other spots and done very poorly. I figure if I cant catch'em, I might as well buy them. Where is the best place to buy spot in the 4" range, and how much can I expect to pay for them now?

it can be as high as 2$ a piece...

not sure who has them... now it's the time to catch your own... send me a pm and i'll let you know a couple of places where i caught them recenntly in big numbers...

I know Ake's carrys them but as stated above $$, now I've had good success at catching Spot over behind 28th st, on Sabiki rigs tipped wth FB/BW, not sure why you're not having any luck?

Be careful using the sabiki rigs in MD waters. They have been deemed illegal unless you cut all but two hooks off.

not true, this has been argued over and over.

a Sabiki rig is NO different than a plug or lure wth 2 (or more) sets of trebble hooks in it.

a Sabiki Bait Rig is ONE lure, not 6 little lures as some may think

I personally talked to Dianne Samuels at the DNR and it was very clear they aren't considered a lure and they are illegal in MD.

410 260-8260 -- phone number

SAMUELS@dnr.state.md.us EMAIL

Right from the horses mouth is what I will follow. I am sure that every field agent for the DNR will interpret the rules they want to but when push comes to shove it not worth the risk of it being deemed illegal.

I bought a couple from Ake Marine in West OC last year and they were around $1 - $1.25 each.:confused3:

Have you tried real bloods? They are just about as expensive, but are effective.

I have caught them in canals, and around pilings, and in rip rap rock near the shore. I think structure would be helpful in your fishing for them. All of the baits you have mentioned have worked, In the canal behind our condo some kids have used bread balls.... worked for them.

Black Saltys are a hardy bait and they work well for stripers, and flounder. Give them a try.

Bev had some spot on Friday right next to the cooler with the bunker. I honestly do not remember how much it was. Bev is as fair as it comes for bait down there, from what I have experienced.

Harbor Tackle - I don't know for sure the names of the roads - but turn off of Rt50 at the Royal Farms across from Applebys. Go to the 2nd or 3rd cross street and they are on the right.

Bev had some spot on Friday right next to the cooler with the bunker. I honestly do not remember how much it was. Bev is as fair as it comes for bait down there, from what I have experienced.

Harbor Tackle - I don't know for sure the names of the roads - but turn off of Rt50 at the Royal Farms across from Applebys. Go to the 2nd or 3rd cross street and they are on the right.

They are on sunset ave / golf course road. I think she has frozen only though.

She had some fresh ones a couple of weeks ago I think they were 2.50/lb but I'm not sure about that.

I am a local kid and i sell spot locally. In the Summer i have 10-100 in a holding tank and would be willing to sell them for half the price of the marinas. Which is around a dollar a piece. If Interested comment me. Thanks Ben

I am a local kid and i sell spot locally. In the Summer i have 10-100 in a holding tank and would be willing to sell them for half the price of the marinas. Which is around a dollar a piece. If Interested comment me. Thanks Ben

Well thats good to know Ben, Thanks and Welcome Aboard :hello:

where about's in OC:icon_scratch:

According to the COMAR, Sabiki rigs are indeed LEGAL in the Atlantic.

However, they are NOT legal in the Chesapeake Bay or in the coastal bays of Chincoteague, Assawoman, Isle of Wight or Sinepuxent.

I don't remember the COMAR number but it's under baitfish.

The Maryland DNR reg number is 4-710 but is NOT, and I repeat, NOT the final say, the COMAR is. 4-710 does not specifically mention gang hook rigs for baitfish, just that you cannot use more than two hooks or two sets of hooks on each line.

This is one rig with multiple hooks for use in the catching of bait in the aforementioned legal waters of Maryland. There is no limit to the amount of hooks on a gang rig (Sabiki, etc) to catch BAIT.