8 posts in this topic

The biggest Atlantic croaker ever caught was landed today by Norman Jenkins of Portsmouth.

Flounder fishing off New Point Light near Mathews County, Jenkins landed an 8-pound, 11-ounce croaker that shattered both the state and world record for the species. The International Game Fish Association all-tackle record for the species – a member of the drum family – weighed 5-8 and was caught in 2000 off the Alabama coast.

The Virginia mark of 5-13 was caught by Jim Mitchem in 1982 at the Cell, not too far from where Jenkins caught his fish. The Virginia record fish was caught before the IGFA began keeping records on the species.

My fishing buddy, Sammy Brooks, netted it and he thought it was a small black drum," Jenkins said. "Then it croaked. We measured it and said that if it really was a croaker, it was some kind of record.

"It's a croaker."

The fish was certified by Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament representative Jerry Thrash of Queen's Creek Outfitters in Matthews.

Jenkins is giving the fish to the Virginia Institute of Marine Science for study, and having a reproduction mount made.

championcroaker.jpg.a9c2142e4d4d00f53b85

Wow! That is incredible.

I heard that on 13 news last night and thought the guy was pulling our leg. What a croaker!!!!!!!

WOW, Looks like a drum/croaker hybrid. He really didn't need to hold his arms out (not that I wouldn't have done the same thing) but even so you can still get a flavor of how big it really is.

What a wall hanger that will make. Wonder if he gets any bennnies sp? for it.

That's a big one alright. I wonder if it's sweet eating at that size.

Hybrid, eh? There wouldn't happen to be any nuclear power plants nearby, would there?

:eek:

Thats a mighty big croaker. Looks like someone forgot to draw the dot on the tail of that one. LOL

that is an amazing fish...used to get 3-4 pounders back in the day...but that is a monster...great job...