29 posts in this topic

Still plenty of the ususal suspects to be found in the surf zone along with some sharks roaming the surf zone. Back bays are producing flounder, croaker, and small blues.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Well so far we have been out twice.....no sharks yet.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: The first time no yak, and a smaller shark on but came loose before the wash. Last night yakked out twice. All I could do before dark, one time the bait came back in bitten in half.

Lots of times last night I found my bait to have chunks taken out of it. Looked too big to be blues. I was using bunker, maybe for some reason they were looking for something else??? Anyway next time out in addition to bunker I will try to hook some croaker or blue and use that.

Yakking is fun! First time out I did not go out as far as I thought I did. Turned around to release the bait and dumped in the ocean.:confused3::confused3::confused3: Easy enough to get back in, second time went out much further and no dumping. That 6/0 reel holds a lot of 30 pound line!!!!!

Sounds like you need bigger hooks.

nah, but more then one may help...

well just got back from assateague on monday I was there all week!

caught 1 kingfish all week went fishin everyday off the beach! I guess the fish were on vaction to

murf:dontknow:

monday, a whole lotta nothing and again on tuesday pretty much the same thing except a few blue hits. hopefully this eve proves better.

Murf and Dave sorry to hear there was no bite on, but still a day on the beach is better then a day working...

Hit the beach with Javier, I had two blues early on and javier had two takedowns just after dark, one he got at the surf and it snapped the line and the other spit the hook, from what i could tell he had a 4 ft dusky before it swam back into the deep blue. I had a hard tug around 11 and started to bring it in and then no matter how hard i pulled i could not get whatever it was to budge, thinking big ray, I loosened the line as much as i could and let it sit and eventually it spit the hook and i got everything back. so if the weather keeps up conditions look real good for friday. I might go again tomorrow depending on the wind conditions. Also I almost forgot Javier and I have been playing around with some new shark rigs, Javier has made a type of high/lo rig for shark(which is what he had his first takedown on) and I am using floats , on one of my rigs, both seem effective at keeping crabs off and even worked at getting a few takedowns. I am for sure putting a few more together and will be willing to show and tell at the fling.

Fished AI yesterday around the north beach lot. It was super crowed so I walked a good distance down to find a spot. Tried out the new Yak it was pretty cool I even got to practice re-entry right after I got it going. I only yaked out one bait because I almost killed myself dragging the kayak over the sand to the fishing spot. And of course the crabs got the bait, next time I'm going to use a float.

But on the good side, I got a bunch of blues mostly small, I lost a good sized one in the wash. Also my girlfriend managed a small flounder which was pretty cool.

has anyone had any luck with stripers off Route 50 Bridge? I got a report that they were thick near the drawbridge section after the White Marlin tournament, but I have not had any supporting evidence, and a trip over the Rt 50 Bridge in bumper to bumper isn't worth it for no fish! :dontknow:

Also, a little south, it sounds like the big cobia are starting to move out of the bay!

Also, a little south, it sounds like the big cobia are starting to move out of the bay!

may be time for a stray! get down AI fellers...

yep, two of my buddies caught a 23 and a 60lber of Avalon Pier, and several have been caught recently at Seagull off the Bridge Tunnel. I think they are on the move.

That being said, I am ready for some rockfish.

I have seen stripers up to 34" caught from the deep waters near the bridge. Live spot and eels work well down DEEP.

I would love to see a Cobia from the beach again this year.

Fished AI yesterday and it was still very slow. It was rough and looked fishy and we had deep water in close all day but still only managed 3 croakers fishing 3 rods with an assortment of bait. I will be revisiting this spot in about a month for bigger fish. Fishbites caught two croaker and the other was on squid. My neice made a cool find in the dunes yesterday and I think heure35 is going to post pics later.

Fished for a few hours at the north end nada. Anyone ever do a fall striper tournament on Assateague?

Fished AI (2 miles down the OSV) last night from around 10:30pm till 6:30am. 2 shark rigs out (casted) with big bunker heads. 1 mullet rig out and 1 kingfish rig with a variety of fishbite flavors.

Had one knockdown on a shark rig and got a small 3 1/2 foot sand tiger onto the shore break before the line snapped as I was reaching for the shock leader to horse him up onto the beach. He gave Amanda (fish'ngrl422) a good fight, it was her first shark she got to see that she caught!

Other than that the bait was pretty much untouched all night long except for some crabs every once in awhile. Mullet came back in bit in half a couple times but I didn't see the hits. Kingfish rig was completly untouched all night. I was really hoping to get a king to use as bait! Oh well next weekend we try again.

PS -- extremely nice night out there last night, very calm and even a bit chilly. Stars where out in force with lots of shooting stars!

Fished less then 2 hours today. Too chilly for the family and left early. Yaked and soaked one set of baits, nothing. Another week or so and I am changing gears.

100_0845.JPG.e2d2e4700fd8746b66978feda15

Went south this weekend. I cheated and fished from a boat, but caught some keeper puppy drum, a couple stripers, and a few trout. Ended the day with two citation size drum...

P0002858.jpg.36cab2390326659a4e52d789a36

KM

Nice feesh~~! hope its a sign of things to come on AI soon.

I think I am going to take next weekend off and then start rigging and baiting for drum the following weekend. I have been fishing every weekend this summer and have not had much luck with sharks, just a few small sandbars and one small sand tiger.

fished AI recently...lots of different bait, really just messin around, saw some nice blues come to the beach on finger mullet but never connected with anything over a pound...

waitin on the reds! im settin the goal of hittin a big red off the sand within the next month! stand by...ive heard some good things about them and they arent far away! guys have been connecting in virginia just off the beach...

Thanks for the reports. I'm looking forward to big red as well. Last year I had my first dealings with them and I've been thinking about them ever since!