8 posts in this topic

Just e-mailed Sam a (pdf) copy of the proposed changes by NMFS

(National Marine Fisheries Service) for coastal sharks with emphasis on sandbars. NMFS will be at the Ocean Pines Library Aug.29 between 6pm and 9pm for comment/discussion. They were here a year ago, (the precursor to the now proposed regs) and two people showed, me and a guy from the local paper! This will be the time to be heard and get the facts on what NMFS really wants to do with managing sharks. Be there or, don't b.......... when the new regs come out! And you can bet on new regs! That's why they started the processes a year ago! This show (NMFS) will travel to locations along the east coast and gulf coast one last time the way I understand it and then............. BAM new regs! Leave the bashing at home and come prepared to listen and add constructive views. Every user group is going to be effected or is it affected?! :icon_thumbdown::evil5::icon_puke_r::confused:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Without wading through 20 pages of mumbo jumbo, what are they proposing ??

Limited or non fishing on sandbars, sandtigers, no take on porbeagles plus changing the protected (pupping ) areas. But hey, be informed read the mumbo jumbo i could have missed something!

probably not a bad idea except that it will give way to more regs. Seeing they eat the same bait as everthing else it's tough to enforce the 'no fishing for' rule.

There is No Shark fishing or Chumming here in Va. Beach already. Doesn't mean you can't put out a big ole piece of bait or a live fish and go for cobia.

I am a firm beliver in we need more sharks back anyway. Just look at the cownose rays. An abundance in the bay is partially due to fewer sharks around to eat them.

The main reason for my original post was to let people know that there was an opportunity to to have some direct communication with NMFS. Not that we will affect what they plan to do but at least hear their game plan and shoot back a cooment or two. Some of the people i have spoken with in person feel that this is just another meeting and NMFS is going to do what they want. That may be but if don't take your shot then it's gone! See you there .

I happen to be in the unique position to see what kind of research goes into these types of changes and how they gather their data to come to these conclusions; that being said I do believe that there are some issues with fish populations; now that being said these people are mostly incompetent, holier than thou, "I have a PHD.", idiots. Excuse me while I hold back..... I have seen first hand the enormous waste of taxpayer dollars in the ever so vain attempt to gather data on several different species of fish. No effort was made to investigate where the fish actually were, they just picked spots they thought looked good, and I am not sorry IT'S A BIG DAMNED OCEAN!!!!!!!!!!! and if I were looking for specific fish I would ask someone whose paycheck depends on their ability to find them. Granted we also work with some groups that have their stuff together, they know what they are looking for and exactly where to find it, and also explore control areas to have data to compare, which I believe is the scientific process anyway. They still think their stuff doesn't stink cause they have a PHD but at least they know what they are doing. I also work with a guy who ran charter boats off of Jersey his whole life(still trying to get him to give me some wreck #'s Bob), he has been to these meetings and from his perspective it is a complete waste of time. They have already decided what they are going to do and this is just their way of letting us know to BOHICA!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably the same two people from last year! I would not disagree with you. I gueess some of us (in this case me) need to go and flap at them so we feel like we at least tried to get them to see the other side and question their findings.:icon_thumbdown::evil5::icon_puke_r: