14 posts in this topic

Got ahold of a yak, Ocean Kayak Frenzy, and paddled around a bit tonight at a local lake. Moves around pretty good, but I need more practice reboarding. Sure felt good jumping out into that lake water!

Anyway I met Ben at BassPro over the weekend to pick up my 1509 and to buy a yakking rig. Thanks again for the rod Ben!!! It will have to wait till Saturday at the beach before I throw it. Anyway I bought a combo got it home to find a broken rod guide.:evil3::evil3::evil3::evil3: Don't know how I missed it. Anyway went back and bought a different rod/reel. Got the Offshore Angler Power Stick, 6'er with the Captains Choice 6/0 reel. It takes something like 450 yards of 50 pound test but I will be stringing up with 30.

Heading out Saturday morning to test out the rod and the yak. Got to get some paddle time in before yakking baits out. We shall see what happens........All my freshwater buddies think I have lost my mind.:happy7::happy7::happy7::happy7::happy7::happy7: They are convinced I will get eaten by a shark.:fish::fish::fish:

Congrats Phil- quite a productive night at Bass pro eh? Yak, Yak rod & reel, and a 1509 - very nice!

Those of us still trying to cast are becoming a rare breed!

Congrats Phil- quite a productive night at Bass pro eh? Yak, Yak rod & reel, and a 1509 - very nice!

Those of us still trying to cast are becoming a rare breed!

I think I'm actually regressing, don't like yakking much anymore...kind of cheating. The one I winched in last year kind of turned me off so I started putting my big reel on a heaver to make it more fun but still didn't get anything big enough to make it a battle. I look at it this way, when they are in and the conditions are right like any of the target species we chase, all you need is fresh and a decent location with water YOU can hit. I'm becoming a fishing snob.

Good job Phil!

I'm sure that 1509 Ben built is a beauty!

You'll love getting out there and paddling around.

Did you get a decent PFD also?

Ben, say it isn't so! One less yak on the water means one less wreck to watch and enjoy!

:D

I joked around with Sam the other day about yaking. All he had were his heavers out. Told him I thought he was going to the dark side.

Cheating, nah, just adds a different element to fishing. It's all good, fishing is fishing, no matter how you enjoy doing it.

I'm becoming a fishing snob.

Geez Ben, next thing you know you be using a fly rod only and looking way down on us Bunker Chunker lounge chair fishin scum. lol

You know for me surf fishing is the challenge and fun of long distance casting to reach the corner of a cut or clear the outer bar or any other structure off the beach. I just love to cast however I can really really see the Yak side challenge. Its all good and diverstiy is what makes the world go round. Same with hunting liking the challenge of harvesting a smart wise whitetail with a bow but there are also many ways/types of hunting. Bottom line is we all need to stick together cause are rights to hunt and fish are in jeopardy.

I think once I learned how to cast further I lost interest in the yak, don't get me wrong I still do it and I'll do it for reds next time out as well. I did built myself a nice 10wt Dave, lookout! No worries on the true snobdom, unless I can figger a way to get a nice loud cliker on there. There is something about the wait that I can't get enough of, everyone thinks I'm nuts. I can get a ride on the bay any weekend for giant stripers and score early enough to be back for lunch but I'd rather plant my feet in the sand on Assateague Island and wait it out...

Last year I planned on buying 2 more yak setups, decided against it and went for bigger and better heavers, much more fun. After you do it about 30 times the actual yakking aint all that challenging either, in the beginning it is a true rush though and can pickup based on the conditions.

Just one more tool to have in the bag, if I'm going out for a weekend of sharkin then the yak may stay home but if I've only got 6 hours to score you can bet its gonna be on the roof and in the water.

I've just about given up on gun hunting too, got to the point where I feel bad cause its so easy, with a 7mm if I can see it its over. Opening day will likely be spent on AI and then off to hunting camp for Sat night cards and booze. If I had better land with some real giants on it I may feel different...Bow all the way, maybe even stick bow this year. Especially at Randy's house, like shootin fish in a barrel.

"Yakin aint that challenging"...I beg to differ. Yaked out at night, which is what I primarily do anyway, can get very challenging. Had a decent swell rolling in the other night and it was pitch black. Got a good natural rush just paddleing out...FUN. And sometimes it's not the challenge but the stillness at night with the glowing water as you paddle.

Dave, I agree, something about casting that is just plain fun. Not sure what it is but I really enjoy heaving payloads and waiting for a LARGE. I get a certain amount of adrenalin doing that, not sure why, but I do.

"Yakin aint that challenging"...I beg to differ. Yaked out at night, which is what I primarily do anyway, can get very challenging. Had a decent swell rolling in the other night and it was pitch black.

I did say it "can pickup based on the conditions" night time and big swell being "conditions"...:D

Geez Ben, next thing you know you be using a fly rod only and looking way down on us Bunker Chunker lounge chair fishin scum. lol

Nothin wrong with fly rods...my two favorite forms of fishing are currently freshwater fly fishing and chunking in the surf....they CAN be compatible.

Weird thing - i must admit i'm a bit of snob when it comes to my trout fishing -wild trout live too fragile an existence to be killed by worm dunkers.

On the other hand, I have no problem using bait for other species - that i feel can more easily survive a catch and release after being caught by bait. I might be scientifically wrong - just do what feels right.

With my luck lately, all fish species are safe from me...:dontknow:

Ben, try yaking out to the clear blue water, jump in with a bowie knife and chase a big one! Now THAT ought to be a challenge!

:D:D:D:D

Phil, yer gonna' have a blast, just wear the FPD every time and do it with another yaker nearby. Go easy on the intensity of the surf, it looks real big when you are sitting low. Go at the waves straight ahead, don't let a roller broadside ya, you'll get tossed. Might be a long swim back to the yak too (or back to shore).

Well here is the deal.....I'M ON VACATION!!!!!!!!:happy3::happy3::happy3::happy3::happy3:

Packing up now. I did not buy a yak, just got my brothers to try out. That 9'er feels small though. Anyway I am looking for nice flat water. Will ALWAYS wear a pfd and will take a whistle, knife, and wirecutters out with me while yakking baits.

Gonna head out to AI tomorrow morning to throw my 1509 and play around in the surf a bit with the yak. Not go out too far, just get the hang of it. When sharkin I figure to cast two rods out and maybe take another combo out a bit further than I can cast and dump it with the yak, and if the water looks good then take another out past the bar with the boat rod.

Anyway it should make for good entertainment at the fling.:help::help::help::help: You guys should keep your cameras ready!

Phil, looking forward to Friday. Hopefully it will be a nice calm day.

You'll love that 1509...great blank.