19 posts in this topic

I know it's early and the sharks have finally got going, but I'm going crazy reading old stories and looking at pictures. Seems there is a yearly drum thread so here it goes. I'll be absent this season with the arrival of a baby boy here in the next few days and would like something else to keep me up at night. Judging by the posts last season there were more drum caught by more anglers then in the past so I know there are some good new stories around, tell a tale and post a pic. The best one's aren't like mine, they are from the guys who chased them for years and years and finally got one...me, I got lucky.

I never caught a bull from the surf or any drum out front for that matter til last September. I read everything I could find and emailed a few folks around, one in particular was very helpful...name rhymes with Wave Denson. In that time I went from a fair weather fishermen catching sharks in the summer etc to chasing giant stripers and drum up and down the coast. Everyone wants to catch one, I tell them "be careful that fish changed how I live my life". I spend a great deal of my time reading and hypothesizing and picking the brains of the sharper knives on here just to catch one more red lady. I'm lucky enough have gotten 3 over 40" 5 total in the past 11 months. One day I'll get good enough to get mulitples during a day like Dave, Gary, Steve, and Allen. Tales and pics coming...

I know the VA contingent has some great stories and posts on other sites that would be great if copied over...if you have a chance...

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

OK, here is the story of the weekend and the fish.

Tim and I got there a little late Sunday after getting bait/beer etc. Missed the low tide and got in mid way on the incoming, combination of the wrong tide table and being late but not that big a deal. Drove to Virginia and didn't see any water I liked so ended up about 3 miles from the line when we found some surf that looked like what I normally try to find. Fished through 9:00 Monday morning with only the usual suspects Blues (one nice one)/Doggies/Sharks/Skates. Moved on the low tide to find Coop in what I thought looked like "crappy water" talked to him and there were some drum caught down the beach so we set up about half way between Coop and some other folks. Fished from 10:00-2:00 with the only thing biting being the little crabs on my toes. Around 2 my heavy rod clicker goes off in a big way, straight out run and took 150 yards off my reel very quickly. Very thankful my reels hold around 400 yards at this point because I was I heard bull drum fight great but it was ridiculous after a half hour a laying into this "fish" I was down to about 50 yards of line and my arms were rubber, back hurting, legs tired, and I was getting tired of being called every synonym of the word girl by Tim. It was decided that I hooked a sea monster or a u-boat/submarine or something totally un-natural. There were porpoise that came by and darted off in a hurry when they got near what ever it was on the end of my line so it must have been scary! Anyway, I busted the line on my rig intentionally and set the giant ray home, we did have a shovel on hand and plans of Steve Irwin's revenge when we beached it though. 45 minutes with no baits in the water while I wasted all my energy on the ray. Got all the baits back out and moved some rods around and one down 30 yards to a rip that was developing. 2 Peelers in close and 2 small chunks way out.

Tim "fell asleep" around 3:00 and I watched all the rods but only kept my baits fresh but I started to nod off around 3:45 from not sleeping and fighting the ray. So I moved the rods with the loudest clickers the furthest away and the more quiet ones I kept closer to me. I nodded again and decided I should turn the Stones off so I could be interrupted by a clicker if I did get some shut eye. Sure enough around 4:15 the clicker goes off on my small bunker chunk casted way out I fire out of my chair straight out of my coma and my FAR rod is screaming, I sprint the 100 yards down the beach pulling all the seldom used running muscles I had at some point. I was really nervous not knowing how long that run had been going on, I could have woken up right when it hit but I also could have slept through 30 seconds of it and have no line left. I tighten the drag and the fight is on, now all I need is my helper to pull these lines and help me beach the fish. Oh yeah, he's out cold over 100 yards away and has been for over an hour. I'm screaming at the top of my lungs, after about the 6th time he wakes up, sees me fighting the fish in the surf and jumps out of his chair, only to realize his legs are asleep and he crashes to the ground like a sniper shot him, funniest thing I've ever seen. He couldn't really get up either but managed to get the camera, and tape measure down to the general area. We also had a passerby stop to help out which was good because besides wrestling the thing in the wash I wasn't comfortable beaching it with the shallow sand bar in front of me. We walked it down the beach into a trough and beached it. One of the most beautiful fish around when they are in the surf, I wasn't ready for that experience.

Here is the real kicker, we get the fish beached and it has my rig in it's mouth but with a dead blue hanging on the hook, I casted out a bunker chunk right? A 8" blue had taken the chunk and got hooked, while struggling to get free the drum came in and ate the blue. Not only did I get lucky enough to get the bite, wake up, fight and land the fish...it didn't even bite on MY bait.

In my estimation it was 50% being lucky, 30% planning to be lucky by moving my rods so I could hear clickers/turning radio off, and 20% a combination of being able to land the fish and stay out there for 30+ hours. Thanks to the guys on this board for being liberal with your knowledge on locations/baits/rigs and to my wife for letting me go fishing all the time!

As you can see I was very pleased!

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

5852a514e404a_Drum1.jpg.3d501241e0828571

5852a514eb474_Drum2.jpg.caa9b8de7827395d

5852a514f02d0_Drum3.jpg.bc06ec1eadd22cd2

Fished from 6:00 pm Wednesday through Friday at 2:00pm.

Wednesday night arrived solo to a 20kt cold NE wind and incoming tide, set up out on a nice point with some shoals right out front of the bar. Fished 3 rods that night. Talked to the wife around 9:00 and no sooner then I hung up my tica was screaming off so needless to say I was very excited, got down there and hooked up. I got a very good fight from a 25" drum, definitely superior to a 36" striper IMO. By the time I got finished measuring and photos I decided to keep the fish because I had it out of the water for so long. Things were quiet until around 12:00 then I got 2 doggies and as I released the second my OM doubled over and started screaming line off. Got over to it and it pulled tight as well, landed a nice over slot pup after a great fight again. Around 1:30 the outgoing was to the point where I had very little water in my spot so I decided to turn it in around 2:00 am.

Woke up at 6:00 the next morning and fished the incoming again at the same point, I had a steady pick of doggies and blues were pecking the baits in a big way. Wind had shifted SE and the tide brought in the GRASS, especially on my shoals. I packed it up at 9:00 and decided to look for some cleaner water since my 10oz frong tongues couldn't hold for more then a few minutes. Headed down the beach only a couple hundred yards to a nice deep hole near a break in the bar that I almost fished the night before. I liked it because I'm lazy and didn't want to wade and throw over the bar and I thought the water was moving less and the grass wouldn't be as much of a problem. Had a steady pick of blues on the last of the incoming and slack high. Headed out for bait around 1:00 because I wanted FRESH for Thursday eve which was setting up really nice with an incoming at dusk and a SSE wind. On the way out ran into CG and told him I'd see him after swapping out some bait. Came back to find him not 70 yards from where I was parked before...made me feel really good about my location selection! I pulled up abut 75 yards and set up shop around 2:00 on the outgoing and prepared to fish it the next 12 hours. Consensus was that the fish would come in with the wind/tide/and dark so with a whole lot of faith and fishing next to a whole bunch of MOJO I baited and waited for the next 6 hours and only picked up a 18" blue for my troubles. I ran 2-3 rods most of the time but dropped down to 2 at night. Around 9:30 it all changed for the better.

The RS 1502 I just built was set up about 40 yards from my truck and was the far rod in the spread, pretty close to the last of the shoals I fished the night before and morning. The rod slams down and starts squealing, by the time I got there I was down about 100 yard of line and really wanted to turn the fish. I did stop the beast and ran in to the wash gaining about 50 yards of line back quickly, from there it was a nice tug o war for the next 10-12 minutes. We had a good current that was running through my lines down to CG and I didn't want to take the fish down through all that so I held my ground and played the fish keeping it out of the other rods. This fish really used the backwash and current and it took me a while to get my shocker on the spool, once I did I locked it down and surfed it up on the next wave.

CG and Coleman's nephew Jerry were down in the wash about 100 yards away and I could not get their attention at all so I had to wing it on the landing. I'm glad I got to do it solo because I wasn't sure how it would go. The fish was 46x27 and a thing of beauty after 28 hours on sand. Got the pics and after a very long revive got the fish on it's way. This one drummed the whole time I handled it, pretty cool.

I got settled in again and got fresh baits out, I guess it was my second cast after the 46” when I tossed the 1502 out but didn’t like the release on the cast so I pulled it in immediately and re-tossed. I must have hit the fish in the head because I no sooner got the clicker set and turned my back to go to the other rod and it starts really going off. I got set up on this one but it did not want to turn at all so back into the wash I went and got some line back. I knew this one was much bigger, it had no quit and was still pulling a ton of drag and line even after a few minutes. I had a tough time getting this one in the wash and when I did the battle just really started. Back and forth using the outsuck and waves we went until finally I had the fish and I parallel to the beach about 50 yards out, then I got blindsided by a wave and dunked my reel, headlamp etc. I never went under but the wave hitting me in the shoulder was enough to splash up and over my head. I got pretty aggressive at that point since I didn’t have any lines around and closed the distance to the fish and got the shocker on the spool and surfed the fish up onto the beach. I was shocked at the size of my nemesis…where was the rest of it? The drum was still citation size at 40x22 and 28 lbs but it fought like a goliath, I guess it was more athletic but god did it fight. I don’t know if it bulldogged the whole time so I couldn’t gain on it but it really gave me a run. Got all weighed and measured and ran down to CG to get a couple pics, they still didn’t know I even had a fish until I showed up. My camera acted up and I only got a couple shots with no flash, I had to doctor the shots so you could even see anything. After my long revive on the 46 I hurried down to the water and got the 40 in, as soon as it hit the wash it tail smacked me and off it went…should have taken my time and got some good pics! That fish sure had a lot of spunk, I’ll put it up there with my Assateague Island 48”.

Got both within 1.5 hours of each other and fished until around 2:00 before sleeping until 7:00. CG cooked up the 25” I caught for breakfast, man was it tasty! Completed the trip by tossing bait until 2:00 with zip, not even a sniff and then headed home a happy man. Around 10:30 CG packed up and went looking for another spot, hope he found the fish…its only a matter of time really…

This trip made my year and its only March. Big thanks to Crtitter Gitter for the helping hand on everything North Carolina especially reading a carved up beach…it’s a totally different world down there.

2328d1174762876-gittin-critters-critter-gitter-46-inch-drum2.jpg

2329d1174763318-gittin-critters-critter-gitter-dscf0016_edited.jpg\

2321d1174762744-gittin-critters-critter-gitter-27-inch-red.jpg

Wish i had one ..... praying for a lucky september this year!

:hello:

.....BlackDrum-1.jpg

Me on the left with my 75 pound black drum fishie in the middle.

My good friend Bob ~ The Music Man on the right.

..........vl_MotWjoe01-1.jpg

...where when and how?
:hello:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....there lived this young Jedi fisherman. He teamed up this past spring with Obi-Wan Kenobi to search for Drum Vader off of St. Mary's Inlet (north end of Amelia Island, FL) on Obi's Renken. The day was short, only two hours into this quest Drum Vadar struck the half crab and the battle began. Drum Vader launched a valiant battle but he was no match for our hero's light sabre technique and #2 hook. The closer Dreams Float Joe got him to the ship, the harder Vader would pull. Vader intended on pulling poor Dreams down into the deep trenches of his cold, dark world but DF Joe would have none of it. The poor boy struggled with this nemises of the deep in full battle for 45 minutes. Without the help of Obi-Wan this battle would have been lost long before the capture. Dreams Float Joe was fighting fatigue and Vader was a massive, slippery opponent. It took both of them with all their collective strength to subdue Drum Vader. Drum Vader was hauled to justice and bought before the Galactic Filet Council. He were tasty!

May the Force Be With Y'all,

..........joe5gif-1.jpg

Wish i had one ..... praying for a lucky september this year!

If you have 100 hours lined up I think you'll get one, seems to be the going rate. That new stick and 50 more yards out won't hurt you either!

If you have 100 hours lined up I think you'll get one, seems to be the going rate. That new stick and 50 more yards out won't hurt you either!

LOL - 50 more yards - yeah...workin on that...not there yet....

100 hours? Yeah - i'm about halfway there so far - still carving up the schedule...

That is one huge drum, Joe! :icon_thumright:

Did it have worms?

excellent story charkbait. Now I can't wait even more for september to hopefully hear the beat of the drum !:icon_thumleft:

great stories! I hope come october i'll be able to add to these storys.

i been building up for some long marathon sessions soaking bait come September. Leave friday night and don't come home till sometime on Sunday.

Now I can't wait till October....

Again the crew of Bucket and myself headed out tonight along with Chapa, NewsJeff, Neil and Anthony from Maryland. What a beautiful day here in Virginia. Nothing, but Blue Skies all day and the thoughts about striper season opening right around the corner. Not exactly the drum weather we were hoping for, but hey the fall weather couldn't turn us away. We decided to give the drum one more shot tonight from the suds and sand to see what we could do. NJ, Neil and Anthony were already in place when we showed up. We proceed to get situated as the others already got bait out with the outgoing tide just starting.

A few minutes later, Anthony's rod take a few bounces and I let him know. Anthony picks up his rod and off she goes. At first Anthony doen't know what he has and still didn't know until he finally saw her riding a wave with my flashlight. Then he lit up and was excited to say the least. A few more minutes of coaxing her in and Anthony is rewarded with his first citation red that went about 48':

100_0646-1.jpg

What a start to the night to say the least! Tide kept pushing out and fast too at times, and we thought we needed some frsher bait than we had. Bucket proceeds to pick up a spot in close to the wash, so Neil decides to put a piece out in close and see what happens. Just goes to show you don't need to cast far all the time as Neils dunk shot produced himself a paper too at 46':

100_0650-1.jpg

Wow! Here we go again, and with the conditions of the day, we all can't believe what is happening again. We all rebait and toss back out and before long Newsjeff's rod goes off and shoots down the beach, but a bite off or something happens and the fish is gone.[sad] Anthony shortly after that sees his rod bouncing again and picks it up and 'FISH ON' again![smile][excited] After another 15-20 minute fight, Anthony lands his second citation for the night:

100_0654-1.jpg

From then on I kept singing the Allman Brothers tune 'Blue Sky' in my head:

'Walk along the river, sweet lullaby, it just keeps on flowing,

It dont worry bout where its going, no, no.

Dont fly, mister blue bird, Im just walking down the road,

Early morning sunshine tell me all I need to know

Youre my blue sky, youre my sunny day.

Lord, you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way,

Turn your love my way, yeah.'

Don't know what it was, but the tune just kept hitting me. Well at that point I was just happy we were catching fish, but I wanted Chapa to get his as well. Something told me to let him bait up and toss one of my rods out. Well as luck would have it, he did. After about 10 minutes of that bluefish head he tossed out on my rod, it started singing! I hollered for him to come get it, which needless to say he did and low and behold Chapa was now on the board too with his first citation Red:

100_0657-1.jpg

After that, I looked at Chapa and said are you ready to go now and he stated 'Yep'! We walked up to the others and told them adios and walked off the beach. At the time this report was finished, no others had been landed.

Again a beautiful night with a moon shining bright and good friends to go along with it! You really can't ask for too much more on nights like this. Take care and Good Luck!!

OH What a Night (5 Red Papers)!

<HR style="COLOR: #f7f7f7" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Bucket, Park03, Kibaro, Dr. Ike and myself all set out last night in hopes of some Red Papers. Dr. Ike stated he had not got his Big Red yet and was even willing to try it from the surf, so it was nice to finally have him in the sand returning the favor from all the Ho rides the past few years.

We got camp set up and started to use some fresh spot Ike had caught earlier in the day with DS422 and his son. Tide and wind were not at our favor, but we continued anyway. As we were getting set up we had an absolutely beautiful sunset.

100_0625-1.jpg

After getting set up, Newsjeff and C-Dog who were already down there were getting ready to leave when Bucket tosses out and after a few minutes he bows up on his Rainshadow 1509. After a nice battle, Bucket is finally able to get her into the wash and a Nice healthy 49' Red lays at his feet. Paper #1 for the night!![grin]

100_0631-1.jpg

Needless to say, Bucket deserves this one as not only has he put in some time lately, but he also will give the shirt off his back to help others, just as he did the same day in the AM when he got Alley1 a 49' Paper Red! As Bucket is releasing her back into the suds, Kibaro goes to check his bait and as he picks up his 1509 Rainshadow, the line takes off and results in a touch of thumb burn. Kibaro had the drag locked down good, but this fish was taking him for a ride up and down the beach. Again we all chipped in with the lines and wading in the wash and Kibaro was rewarded with his 1st Red Paper shortly later in a 47' Beauty!

100_0633-1.jpg

Now that's two with papers and three left to go including Ike. From then we struggled with slack tide, having to fight off some 3 - 3 1/2ft Sandbar sharks and Bucket and I both had a Big Biter on for all of about 10-15 seconds before they sawed the line/leader off. Tide finally switches and we re-bait and toss out some fresh blue that ike had just caught.

About 10 minutes later, Bucket is talking to Ike and I when he notices a rod starting to go off. Ike picks up the rod and the fight is on. After a few minutes of fighting, the fish moves closer in the wash. With no waders on, Ike does not care and begins to walk in the wash to land her. This fish did not want to come in, but finally Ike was able to coax her with a wave coming in at the same time. After trying for a while, Ike finally get's his 1st paper Red at 47' and from the sand of all places! [excited][excited]

100_0637-1.jpg

Ike release her back into the surf and before I can blink, my rod goes off with a piece of cut blue. I pick up my Rainshadow 1569 and begin my battle. Had to zig and zag a bit through the other lines and up and down the beach, but again we all worked as a team and I landed my personal best Red ever at 50.5'!

100_0640-1.jpg

Well that left Park03 to go for the night and we were not leaving until he got one. The four of us had all got ours and with Alley1 getting his in the AM that was 5 Citation Reds for the day. Luck would have it about 10 minutes later, as another rod went off by me. I screamed down the beach to Park03 and he ran at warp speed and grabbed the rod. Fight #5 for the night was on. This fish, like a few of the others went up and down the beach, over and under lines and Bucket even had to cut a line at one point, due to it looked like it got tangled with another. About 15-20 minutes later our mission was accomplished when Park03 beaches his 47' Red!

100_0641-1.jpg

That's 5 Citation Red's for the night and 6 for the day! We could have been greedy and stayed all night, but we also know when the Drum Gods shine on you. We all grabbed a beer, gave each other high fives and packed up and headed home. I think each of us walked off that beach with a grin from ear to ear, knowing that not only was it about catching fish, but friendship as well!

Guys I had a great time and look forward to doing it again here sometime this week. Congrats to Ike and Keith for thier first Big Red's and citations at that!

Dances with BULLS (10-12-06PM)

<HR style="COLOR: #f7f7f7" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Well, let's say I'm about beat from the hike and the Red's working me over tonight, but hey that's a good thing. Bucket is slap wore out as well.

Here's the quick version for now and I will make a more detailed report later.

Conditions were West wind at 0-5mph, Calm seas, cut spot for bait, Custom Fishsticks4u Rainshadow Surf rods, clear skies with the stars upon us.

I got on the board first with a 46.5' Red:

100_0664-1.jpg

Then Bucket with a 48' Red:

100_0666-1.jpg

Then Bucket again with a 49' Red that did NOT want to come in:

100_0669-1.jpg

Then I scored again with a healthy 49' Red:

100_0668-1.jpg

We would have been just fine with that, but the Drum Gods were smiling on us tonight as Bucket got a Monster 50' Red that worked him over, up and down the beach:

100_0671-1.jpg

As if he needed another, but he did as Bucket landed the final one for the night at 49' (Can you tell Bucket is whipped???):

100_0673-1.jpg

Six (6) citation Red Drum all landed from the beach tonight between us two! Simply unbelievable! Could not have been a better night for us and to top it off, we had our hole all to our self! Take care and out till tommorrow as I need some sleep!

<!-- / message -->

I still remember my first red. Bucket said he felt it that night and he was right.

Just south of LIP on a breezy October night just after Bucket rod got slammed by a big freaking shark, my rod started going nuts.

After a 15 minute fight that was a blur for me I finally had landed my first Big Bull Red. Man it's an awesome feeling once you get a chance to battle a fish of their strength.

Dixie,

Man I love those SB reports, lots of action...can't wait to get down there!