6 posts in this topic

I've been fishing ande 20# on my heavers since it's cheap and I'm cheap. Broke down at BPS with Phil on Sunday and picked up some P-line copolymer in 17#. I wanted Suffix Tri but I was really in it to try 17# in a copolymer line so I bought it anyway...$13 for 600 yards, could have had 2600 of ande I think.

Was it worth it? Yes, 20-30 yards consistently. No new records tonight but my casts were ALL in a 10 yard window just shy of my previous best. My best is 20-30 yards past my previous area I could hit consistently. I didn't hit it too hard tonight since I was soaked with sweat and hadn't casted in 3 weeks, man those first couple were ugly.

I use a very overhand hatteras cast with an AFAW rock with a knobby magged Torium 20 17#P-line and 80#shocker...it was hummin tonight, don't know if it was the line, the line fill level, the oil being hot, or what but I was deep and straight after the first few. Threw 8oz to warm up until I hit the woods, the up to 10 for the rest of the session...need a bigger field for 8's. I tried a new location tonight but fall HS sports are kicking off and most fields were taken. 20-30 yards is HUGE, not sure what it translates towing out a chunk...I'll take 10-15 with just a simple gear change anyday. With the right rig and a small bait like bloodworm etc I believe I can finally get over that damn bar at Assateague Island.

Anyone know if drum will take a blood? Wouldn't last too long with those blues around in sept, put a blood on an 8/0 gami circle and hook a live blue out by the bar and leave it...you might not be able to hook everything that would hit it consistently but I bet the knockdowns would keep ya busy.

I know they'll take a live blue...accident or not!

5852a514aff7f_Picture007.jpg.d502846e1f3

Cool Ben,

I like the way you think with the bloodworm thing.....:happy3::happy3::happy3::happy3:

I've had yearlings take a tiny piece of bloodworm while fishing for bait in the fall, why not a Bull!

I figger a 40+# striper will hammer them maybe a bull will and it's a good way to blast it way out there.

Problem being baitfish hitting it...not bad when hooked and left but you need the right hook to get them hooked and be big enough for a bull, another drawback is cost, dem things is expensive. Maybe just launch it out on one rod and fish the others as you would and see what happens.

Tell you the truth it may not be a bad idea with those tarpon sitings off AI ya know! Good way to get a "live bait" out over the bar without a kayak.

I come up with all kinds of crazy ideas when I'm sitting away from the beach...by spring they ought to be WAY out there.

Definitely a combination of line level and better line, line was down by 1/4" tonight after some blowups and I lost almost all the distance I gained. Cool to know, by the end of all this practice I'll have it all tuned up and know exactly how to milk the most out of my setups.

threw 8oz tonight as far as I threw 10 monday. Couldn't toss 5 any better then 8.