19 posts in this topic

From another site:

Owning your own boat can be as bad as owning a swimming pool. the best thing about a pool can be knowing someone who has one. When you have your own pool, you'll notice more friends and more friendly neighbors. If you've always had a boat or pool, you may not notice the difference, you may just think you're the most popular guy on the block. Typical scenario: It's a hot summer daywhen Dave says, "Hey John, let's go over to Sean's house." John says, "Why Sean's house, I don't really like that guy?" Dave replies, " Me either but he's got a pool." And off they go. They show up at Sean's and use his towels, drinks his soda, eats his food, and track water into the bathroom when they go inside to take a leak....unless the basturds just piss in your pool. The wife has to like the ones coming to the pool but not necessarily on your boat BUT then you have the ol lady's relatives who come out of the woodwork for "summer visits." Anyway, here's the POINT. Know what kind of "guest" you should be. Here's a perfect example of what NOT to do if you are guest...I've had them all at various times but a couple of weeks ago I had a fishing trip that while extreme is all true. Here goes... The husband of a friend of Judy's wanted to go fishing. We set a time(my time is LIMITED) and his arrival was 2+ hours late because he stayed up all night drinking.... He shows up with no tackle, no rods, and no damn money! Not even a frigging sandwich! But in his mind he came prepared for the occasion, he brought his beer! If this dumbass were an air traffic controller, 9-1-1 would be a daily occurence! If you're a boat owner, you probably know all too well what it's like to have to cater to those you bring along but this guy was a total misfit. The worst part is that I already knew this and still allowed him to board my vessel! I tried to convince myself that everything was going to be okay, he really can't be that bad. Yeah right! This jackass made my past experiences with morons seem like peaches and cream! Listed below is a list of things he did and/or didn't do-he's my official idiot poster child and you can imagine how my day went.

1. Don't even bother to get in your car and drive if your beer is more important than the fishing trip

2. Do not come without food

3. Do bring your Silstar combo to destroy instead of my St Croix

4. Don't bother coming if you cannot tell the difference between holding bottom and having a fish on the hook

5. Don't come if you cannot follow simple directions

6. Don't come wearing black sole shoes

7. Don't come if you don't know the difference between a cutting board and a cooler top

8. Don't come if you don't know to cut your own bait with simple directions

9. Don't come if you only want to fish for 1-2 hours(unless that's the boat owners' plan)

10. Don't come if you use a $40.00 Russell fillet knife like it's an ice pick

11. Don't come if you cannot keep track or your beer, if you can't keep it in your hand, a cup holder, or keep it from spilling all over the captains' dashboard

12. Don't come if you have to take a shit but can't shit in a bucket

13. Don't come if you can't untangle the simplest tangle

14. Don't come if youo KNOW you can catch more fish at a different location than the one you're fishing

15. Don't come if you can't afford to chip in for gas, food, bait, drinks. And whatever you do, DO NOT borrow money when you get in to go for a beer run!

16. Don't come if you are not willing and/or able to at least hold onto a frigging rope at the dock without saying, "I'm sorry, I relaxed, the rope slipped outta my hands" as your $40, 000.00 starts to go out with the tide.

17. Don't come if you are not giong to offer to help clean up the f***ing mess you made of the captains' boat.

In a nutshell, that is how my day was spent fishing with "Too Tall, Do It All, Know It All" Paul!

Things you should do:

Have respect, common sense, offer to bring food and drinks, bring your own equipment(understandable if you don't have it if you don't fish often), listen to your captain, have the ability to help pay for the trip(gas, bait, food, whatever), offer to help clean the vessel, and be prepared to pay for any lost or broken equipment that you were responsible for breaking or losing.

The captain will gladly invite you back and the fishing trip will be pleasurable for everyone

Being the brokest guy around, I agree with these statements 100%. I always seem to be the guest, hope I am a good one. I know that the very least I can do is, help scrub down the boat after the trip. While chipping in for gas, food, bait and beer is just a given. People just have to remember that the one who owns the boat makes the rules, period. One day I will re-pay all the trips that I get taken on by being the host on my own vessel.

That post wasn't directed at you, buddy....

Oh, and btw, in about a week here when I buy my new ride, I will be the brokest guy around.....

I know bro.... I was just agreeing with the statements... I do feel a little guilty, always being the guest, sometimes, but as a whole we have too much fun to feel bad for long.:icon_thumright:

That post wasn't directed at you, buddy....

Oh, and btw, in about a week here when I buy my new ride, I will be the brokest guy around.....

I dont think so there Bohica!

I'm the brokest guy around!

We can Compare DOWN MONEY when you Sign your Life away (AGAIN) for another 15 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm huttin ........... But ya know what!

I'm one HAPPY CLAM! I just increased my debt load another 200K in 2 weeks!

Ryan,

Man, you deal in numbers I can't even imagine! And I'm totally awestruck and respect you for it. How many hours do you sleep at night?

BTW, that boat in NY is still available....so maybe Oliver is still the brokest....what r u doing friday? I'm goin to NY....

Yeah...

I just got down searching YWorld for you and there are SEVERAL GB listed... Along w/ your NY boat.

Again, dont talk numbers....

Go up... Look at the boat, sea trail the boat, take your compressions and LEAVE.

Chew on it for a few days... or in my case a month... and then call him back w/ your offer.

You need to find out if you are going to deal thru the Broker or is this a Private deal. If its a private deal then I will hook you up w/ Steve and they can do a CoBrokerage and he will Represent you and guide you. If its a private deal... MIN of 10% off ASKING PRICE on YW. MIN!

Sleeping.......... I do just Fine at night - its during the day.

You wanna buy my F250 before I trade it in tomorrow??????????

I owe 27 on it.

I believe I'll be driving a Chevy Silverado LTZ come Fri.

When you agree to buy the boat...... I'm always up for a Nice Cruise w/ Miller Lite and Popeyes on someone elses Dime!!!!!!!!!!!

LMK and we'll figure it out!

Ollie, I'll gladly go for a ride on your new boat.

We're talking about the research vessel, right?

:grommit:

hahahaha

(wish)

Wow, if those aren't the truths!!!!!!! I've owned several boats....and I swear people think that just because you are going out anyhow, that gas isn't their responsibility!!!!! I also have been a guest MANY times.......Typically on my cousin's boat, and there are times that I have been guilty of not being the perfect guest...BUT, there have been times when I've brought the bait, beer, food, gas money and equipment (although he never needs that)....And cleaning....well, thats always the first thing I do....I even fuss at him for trying to help me clean it....

While reading that (on eggshells), I was trying to think... I hope that was how Bob wanted his squid strips cut!!!

Ahhhhh.............. Squid!

Ask Bob how those FRESHLY Jigged Squid SUSHI tasted a few weeks ago!!!!!!!

MMMMMMMMM - MMMMMMMMMM Good!

Jim,

You can beg all you want, or just PM me and let me know when you guys want to go.

Jim, you are welcome on the Lana Marie anytime I;m down.:hello:

Oh, and one more thing: Don't leave your empty beer bottles and cigarette packs all over your buddy's boat. lol.:drunken_smilie:

Where have you been mining your gold from this summer ?

I dont think so there Bohica!

I'm the brokest guy around!

We can Compare DOWN MONEY when you Sign your Life away (AGAIN) for another 15 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm huttin ........... But ya know what!

I'm one HAPPY CLAM! I just increased my debt load another 200K in 2 weeks!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And Grossy comes Crawling out from under a Rock!!!!!!!!!!

HOLLY !@#$%@#$%^ You're Alive.

Grossy come and Visit my GOLD sometime on C Dock

Kinda has a "white" tint to it....

clear.gif

I miss ya Bud!