4 posts in this topic

I have read that some of you guys are thinking about trying this. How about a quick strike rig? It is used for those other toothycritters....Muskie. Simple rig, for the surf I would use a circle and a drop back leader about 4 to 6 inches behind the first hook. Hook the blue in the snout and put the second hook in the back. Kinda like a kingfish rig except you only use two circles. Take a piece of a plastic grub and put it on the hook after the blue is hooked. Run that plastic right down to the blue's mouth. Fish can and do work their way off a circle, that bit of plastic will prevent this most times. I suspect 5 or 10 feet of line from the weight will do the trick. Let that blue swim around pretty good, something will find it. Maybe a big shark, tarpon....who knows.

The only drawback to this rig is when you start to hookup with flipper.:angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7: I imagine they would find a live blue to thier liking.

Here ya go, my standard live mullet rig will work, just up size the hooks.

rig.jpg.ae4f97add2c619a5dc7e8125e9b08ffa

You can see one of the lines is a bit longer. That's the one that goes to the tail. On Mullet, I would put one through the snout and the other through a meaty part in front of the tail. Many of you have had the tails bitten off, the tail hook will catch 'em! As with any live bait, don't put the hook through any skeleton structure, you may kill it or impair it's ability to swim. Having slack in the rig allowed it to swim freely, a true inline setup really impaired it's natural movements. This setup worked extremely well for tossing to Blues in the surf.

The rig above was made with 30 lb wire, #2 hooks and .035 sleeves.

For rigging live Blues obviously you will use bigger hardware.

I'd use 16/0 for the larger toothie critters. I don't know if I would use J hooks or circle, have to experiment. For live baits yakked way out I would definitely use circles, empty J's tend to dig into the sand when retrieving.