25 posts in this topic

I was looking a Okuma reel, Oryx 90 is the model. Any comments?

Not familiar with the the okuma reels, but the description of the reel sounds like it would make a good surf reel,,,hopefully someone here has experience with that particular reel,,,I do know that okuma makes a pretty good reel.

Okuma reels suck. Horrid construction, don't drop it in the sand or it will stop working (unless they've done major redesign in the past 2 years) I have never talked to anyone who used an Okuma in the salt that liked it. I have 3 AV65s and 2 of the 3 have been in for repairs (within the first 2 trips out) I bought them early in the season and ended up spending more time on the boat than I spent on the beach that year, so it was 3 trips but 6-9 months later that they broke, and they charged me to repair them. INTERNAL parts are CRAP, and here's the external parts. This was taken at AI 2 years ago...

so in my opinion, they suck, they will never get more money out of me......

normal_broken_pole_693.jpg.e26bf34ceb1c2

I agree. Okuma reels are not good for anything.

edit... I have an Okuma Reel for my sharking and it works fine. Brought in some HUGE rays, just doesn't have a loud clicker. I really should have bought another Penn Senator.

i bought an okuma one time. seemed really nice in the shop, real smooth.

used it for a bit, was ok perch fishin, until i hooked a 5lb catfish, then it busted. nope never again.

WOW,,,something tells me you guys don't like Okuma.

i think id rather have an old zebco 202 than anew okuma, more reliable imho

wow I have 3 Okuma's a Coronado CD65 and 2 Epixor EB65's and have just one probleme with one of them ,hade to fix a spring that came out but after that have no problems and I've pulled in some heavey rocks and a 44" red drum at 45 to 50# plus, not to say some big rays with at less a 3 to 4 1/2 wing span or more I know that I would buy another one. but the ones that I mentioned are the only ones that I have uesed. So my knowlage is limeted to the two.

Thanks for all the help guys. Now the next question is what does every one think of Power pro spectra line? I always fish Ande line, I have tried berkley and stren but found on big fish knot failure big time.

As for Spectra line I can't say.

I can say with a positive view that I use Ande and so far have had zero breaks.

Hint-Hint.....

That picture is a carbon copy of what happened to a buddy of mines Okuma Avenger 80. The top of the reel just completely snapped off in the reel seat. One reel I fish with is an Okuma Sira 65. It works great so far after 2 seasons. I keep the drag clean and oiled and freshwater rinse after every trip. So my feelings are mixed on Okumas. :?

Ok, I just got done taking apart one of my okuma AV65's to make sure it was good to go for the weekend. When I took it apart it seemed to work fine, the Anti Reverse stopped working once I put it back together. If you look under the spool, in that black plastic piece of crap, the mechanism is in there somewhere......JUNK I say......The only Metal on the entire reel are the gears......if you look at the cover, right next to the screw hole...you'll see a gouge out of the cover....I barely slipped and got that gouge...that isn't a scratch either...thats a deep gouge...JUNK JUNK JUNK....never again

avenger_frame_162.jpg.330ac69f1e868faa77

avenger_cover_124.jpg.cbf1751bf6fb0ab5ba

avenger_65_disassembled_180.jpg.f26597b5

well i think there is good and bad in them all i have two okuma's had them for three years never had a minutes problem with them :roll:

i have heard some people do have good luck with them. i just know i will never buy one again

wow, good info to know. personally, I don't have any Okuma reels and looks like I never will :D

all my spinning reels are either Shimano or Daiwa and I've had ZERO problems outa' them, now I do have some Quantums that have given me problems and I'll never buy another Quantum again.

ive been sticking with penn, no issues so far

I have to argue Penn being the best....Penn are defenitely good, but I wouldn't say best. Don't Discount Old Mitchells, Van Staals or the Newer Shimanos.

I have an Okuma Sharkin reel that I bought last summer. No problems at all with it.

I agree that the quantums are not good. Bought 2 surf combo's at Bass Pro 2 years ago. They both broke the third trip out. Bass pro gave me store credit and I went with Penns. I use Okuma on my freshwater stuff and it seems to work well.

I had a small okuma...not sure of the model, but i was forever taking it apart to fix this little spring(ok maybe I wasn't fixing it right but still) not a fan. Liking my new Garcia Ambassador.

I had a small okuma...not sure of the model, but i was forever taking it apart to fix this little spring(ok maybe I wasn't fixing it right but still) not a fan. Liking my new Garcia Ambassador.

Just got the Garcia amassador myself, I too like it.

All my spinning reels are Okumas either AXEON’s or their Tournament Pro Series (I don’t think these are available on the Market they were given to me by a sponsor) all in the 65 or 50 series size. These reels are over 2 years old and still taking a beating. The smaller size reels spend endless hours at low tide on the first or second bar and get dunked a lot. The problem with these reels is there bearings that can possibly get wet. This included all roller and drag bearing. At the first cleaning you should upgraded all of these. If not they will rust and freeze. I lightly rinse my reels and air dry after every trip. About once every other month I clean the roller and drag assemblies with lighter fluid or watered down simple green. Add 90 weight oil and reassemble. Once a year I completely tear down the reels look at all the parts replace worn or suspect parts with new ones.

My 9 year old has two 11 foot Tsunami spinning setups with avengers on them they cost like 25 or 35 dollars apiece. He drops them in the sand and salt water all the time. Cleaned like above they over a year old and still pretty smooth.

I used to use the Daiwa Emblem’s and have replaced them with the Okuma’s.