16 posts in this topic

Went fishing today at the mouth of the Wye River using plugs in the shallows. Caught a few small ones and one 21 incher. While fishing we saw this Osprey perched on the rocks. We drifted by this bird all morning and it never moved. So we went back that evening and it was still in the same spot. Not sure whats wrong with it but I captured it and am going to take it to Horse Head Wetland Center in the morning. They truly are beautiful birds. Hope he (she ) makes it thru the night:icon_thumright:

ospray.jpg.ca1e20ec956d0170d07eed4897339

I expected it to be yellow!

In all seriousness I hope it makes it to!

I think it's a young bird......but not 100% sure I read that brown eyes are young and yellow eyes are older birds. I thought they were yellow in the day light but not now they looked like they changed color...hhhhhhuuuuummmmm....need glasses:icon_rabbit:

Let us know the status, I love those birds even though they can be a pain when live baiting near the top!

Well the bird survived the night and in good health. Took him up to Horse Head wetland Center in Grasonville. THey will take care of him and see whats up. The guy up there told me that all year that didn't get a single Osprey and now in the past 7 days they got 5 of them. Gonna call them in the next few days to see his health .

5852a51458ce2_osprey2.jpg.2f2242cc3e3e5c

Nice, Tom... Very good of you.:icon_thumleft:

two weeks ago while fishing on AI i saw a few osprey diving and catching what appeared to be croaker just outside the breakers i had a run in with an osprey. the bird was a youngster and flying in low back to the shore due to the gulls flying around him. the poor guy flew right into my 12 footer lined with power pro and freaked out. i did my best to reel him in slowly and got him in just in to the breakers i layed the pole down and ran out to try to free him..

he was as scared as i was and our eyes were buldging just the same. the guy i was fishing with had a smoke in his mouth so our first instinct was to burn the line and that worked great. it was freed in no time and off he went, what a heart racing few minutes. i did not want to be responsible for injuring an osprey. he was a beautiful bird and the short time spent working with it was special. the bird had a few bands on his legs and i knew someone would be looking for him. a littel while later i saw an osprey hitting the fish again out on the breakers i hope it was him but never know for sure.

What a great story, I hope it has a happy ending. I am almost as fascinated with birds as I am with sharks. There was a guy that lived a few miles from us when I was growing up that had all kinds of large raptors, from hawks to eagles(no ospreys though) and he would bring them around to schools and the different lodges to teach people awareness and how these amazing birds lived. Sam and I had an osprey steal some bait one day, we were just sitting there in our chairs when it swooped down and stole a whole bunker. Amazing creatures, keep us posted.

I absolutely respect all raptors and birds of prey alike. keep us posted,

Nice job capturing the bird without injury to you or the bird!:icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut: I hope all goes well.

Hey just wanted to let you all know just got back from visiting family in Michigan and got a post card from the people that took in the bird for observation. They said that after keeping the bird for a week that they had a successful release and it is out in the wilds of the bay terrorizing the fish yet again:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the update, Tom. Great job!