15 posts in this topic

I wonder what kind of floats you guys are using? My idea is to take out a whole bunker....how big of a float would I need?

Also where are you buying them?

I am going to use balloons tomorrow.

I have an old pork roast to put out, might need 2 balloons.

If that doesn't work, I'll get some crab trap floats.

I saw them at BPS for $3 each. I'm sure they can be found a few places near the shore.

maybe cut up pool noodles would work

Pool Noodles sounds like a good idea. I bet this time of year you can get good deals on them for summer clearance.

Now we just need a good way to rig it on up.

I would not use big floats unless you are using huge weights and really are not neccesary. We found that out yesterday that a few treid. They create alot of drag along with the bait and a few baits were drifting down the beach.

I use a very simple system for floats. I use a red fireball rig type float (less drag) and attach 2 of them about 12" below the hook on a steel cable about 3'. Then I have a rub leader anywhere from 10' to 30' then the weight. Just depends how high I want the bait suspended in the water. I had one low, maybe around 6' and another just below the surface, maybe 2'. I had a hit on the "red floats" and it didn't appear to hit the bait. Not sure if it was accident or he hit it because it was red but I really like the red floats during the day...maybe some extra attraction but who knows.

This system worked great but current was fairly light. I guess the harder the current the longer leader I need. We thought about having the float with just a fish finder set up and let the float pull the line/bait out but my thinking was with all that line out and bow in the line that the float would not have enough bouyancy to pull the bait up through the ff rig and leaving the float right next to the weight, not suspending the bait at all . Hope that makes sense.

I came up with an idea of live lining a bait without the worries of it getting tangled in any lines as the bait swims with the use of 2 weights.

If you use big baits, like a whole large bunker, you'll need a larger float. Possibly a pool noodle with the ends tapered down to reduce drag. I have a couple in the basement, I'll try that. I'll hook it in at the wire, AFTER the shock. That will give me 30' of shock to bring it up and about a foot of drop from the surface.

I'll vary the shock to work different levels of the water column.

Lemme' go work on the noodles....

Steve, Big baits don't take much to float them. I checked it out and I had no problem floating a HUGE half a bunker and large hook with two fireball floats. Now if their is a good current, probably a whole different story since the current will drag the line more of an angle and closer to the bottom.

Yeah, didn't think of the bait having near neutral buoyancy.

I have a 5 lb dead roast I'll need more float for.

Got it sitting outside in the sun getting "fragrant".

Been watching Chark Week and one of 'em was using some really nasty bait, more of an odor.

I am glad I am not the only one watching shark week and looking for ways to catch the things. I got most of the episoded tivoed! Going to watch the Tigershark special tonight.

I see a lot "attacks" have to do with movement. If the divers just meander around calmly there is no aggression of the sharks, but if they start making sharp moved and splashing a bit the sharks become aggressive. I think we need to find a way to make the bait a little splashy (is that a word). Almost something like one of those battery operated ducks that swim in pools, just need to find a way to make it cost effective.

I also see a lot of raw meat being used as bait, maybe we need to look at these sharks like big crabs! Steve is already on this trail though.

WOW!

Those are expensive!!

I found some old cork in the basement, must'a been from a few wine bottles. hehehehe

Grabbed the cork and drilled a little hole, cost?

FREE!

If I have to, I'll use two on the line.

Just stop by your local pub and ask 'em to save you some corks.

I have a supply of old saftey line floats (I'm a pack rat) If you think they'll work I'll bring them to the fling.I'd love to see some photos of the different rigs with descriptions.icon10.gif

DSCF0399.JPG.0ee8588ca17bb59bf6ae550ff1a

As many biteoffs as we get that gets real expensive real fast. Heck just cut up a block of styrofoam. I used floats casting from the beach for years. I just used those large big egg shaped floats and made rigs similar to a big blue float rig only using 11/0 hooks with steel to a 3 way. Just the one float would float a whole small bluefish

Thanks for all the ideas!!!!! Giving me something to think about.

Stay away from the extruded polystyrene foam, it breaks up and leaves a mess. That's the standard white or green stuff. Go with the open cell type, like pool noodles or pipe wrap. It's tough enough to do the job and easy to cut 'n shape.

I'll bring corks and a noodle, try 'em both.

If you are going for shark use a rattle they make a big differance and if you can figure out how to incorporate it into your rig get a small piece of copper and aluminum touching each other this puts out an electric charge when put into salt water and sharks do locate pray by the electric charge coming from there body every living thing puts out one ours stops at our skin because air does not conduct electricity but water does I put the copper and aluminum in the back of my turbo rattlers and for costumers when asked to. Try it it works