9 posts in this topic

On Sunday August 29 and Tuesday 31 the trail seemed extra rough like a washboard some areas deep cross ruts etc.

Anybody else notice this?

Dumb question what side are you to drive on?

I have seeing people driving every which but loose.

Did anyone else see the astro van stuck Sunday afternoon? How did they get it out?

Yeah, I've noticed it too. It rattles the heck out of my jeep...

The cross ruts get deeper as heavier vehicles bounce into them, like a camper. Simply more weight pressing down into them displacing the sand. That and not airing down and spinning up the sand a bit. Stay to the right, unless you go too far to the east.. :D

Just take it slow and you won't rattle your gear too much. Never go fast, you can possibly pop a bead on your aired-down tire.

I wasn't there to see the van, but it's either dig or get yanked out, or a combo of the two.

It would be schweet if NPS ran a blade through there once in awhile.

Just a guess, but I think that washboard is due to people not airing down properly.

I agree with Coop, it always seems worse during the non-local tourist days like the 4th of July and such. The other side to that can be argued is that there are more people on during those days so thats the cause. Or it could be a combination of the two. I see countless people who drive straight on without airing down at all. I am not talking about the small Jeep Wranglers, I am talking about big 3/4 ton pickups who drag their rear wheels through the sand. Heck when I was filling back up one day I had a pickup pull up next to me with a bed full of big rocks. They stated it was for "traction" when driving on the beach and everyone should do that.

When I first noticed it I assumed it was because of a storm or rapidly changing wind condition but I don't think that is the case anymore.

bed full of big rocks. They stated it was for "traction" when driving on the beach and everyone should do that.

Major GROAN!!! :dontknow:

That's just the opposite. You want to be lighter so you can float on top. Sure, mud and snow you want to hit the bottom. Like to see him try to hit the bottom of the sand!

Where did these people go to school?????

It's like they have never seen sand before. Granted, some haven't, but ROCKS???????

:confused:

I was going to ask him if the rocks came from his head, but I didn't think that would go over well so I told him he would be better off with skis on the front so he could glide over the sand instead of digging into it. I really doubt he got the point, he was just proud of his big rocks.

If you see him again, tell him I said thanks for the giant GD ruts that make my rack plow sand!

Well, at least I am not the only one.

I get a lot of strange looks airing down :clock: longest part that and airing up.

Then I drive slow kids say I drive like a "old man". They just do not realize I am trying to find a good uncrowded spot. For fishing and not disturb people with my gang.

I have a good amount of cleanance but my front rack was also pushing sand a couple of times had to be with that much sand around the cooler