79 posts in this topic

Some larger critters, along with croakers, kings and blues, are finally making a showing on the beachfront. Next couple weeks could be good if the water temps stay warm. The back bays have been producing some flounder and blues.

Feel free to post your reports, fish or no fish.

Large silver fish (3-4') jumping out of the outer breakers and making large splashes? I saw it twice on Friday no matter what anyone says! :bootyshake:

Large silver fish (3-4') jumping out of the outer breakers and making large splashes? I saw it twice on Friday no matter what anyone says! :bootyshake:

Sam, was this just after sun rise? if-so, prob Kings (king mackerel) and I plan on going after some on monday if you want to tag-along......tick....tick....tick..... here.... fishey, fishey, fishey........got a nice snack for youuuuuuu.............

You aren't thinking Tarpon, are you???

Looking at the temps, it looks good enough for 'em.

But that would be just plain weird....

Have to yak out there and start tossing silver to 'em.

I'm not gonna' doubt anything.....

Alas, temps are fantastic for Chark!!!!

Coming on Friday.

(edit:)

If they are Tarpon, float a live line out there, they'll kill for it!

(no pun intended)

Tarpon are being caught just 30 miles south so it is very possible on a good sustained SE push, I didn't think king macks went airborne that often.

I'd put your baits just on the deep side of the bar or where you are seeing them, they've been catching them in the surf at Hatteras and in Florida on shark baits, why not AI? They will pickup a shark bait on occasion...obviously but may be more picky then a chark.

reminds me of a couple years ago, people saw a lot of silverish fish jumping and thought they were kings or tarpon. dave looked at them through binoculars and saw they were spinner sharks and they proceeded to blitz the beach.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a shark as it was brilliantly silver and it twisted around before splashing back down. It looked like a very large blue.

Im sticking to King Mac's as I've seen them "free-jumping" along the beach in OCMD before. usally in August when water temps get above 74* and usally early in the morning, between sunrise and @8am.

there's a hole or something up around 30th st, we use to stay at the Sea Gate and I would sea them almost every morning, running parallel to the beach just outside the breakers, chasing baits and getting alot of air time

Wow. I didn't know king macs went in so close to shore.

yeah man they're the holy grail for pier fishers...

need live bait for the most part though, you should see the set ups those guys use. Wild to watch, not enough casting for me though! It is clicker fishing though so that's half the criteria...

Wow. I didn't know king macs went in so close to shore.

yup, way down south they have the nickname of "beachcombers" as they''ll traval @100 yards or so off the beach looking for bait fish to eat, rig up some live bait and yak 'em out guys, just make-sure you use wire and rig a treble hook as a stinger down along the body(also in wire) and hook near the tail, then hang-on as they are a Reel Screamer!!

Sandbars got nothin on a king mac...be careful. Almost cuda like.

fishattack.jpg.6cceecfb80d1b30881c97a80e

Hit the beach tonight and met up with Dave and Javier. I only caught one blue, but Dave landed a nice... I'll let him tell ya. :)

Nothing after that. Fished pretty hard with fresh, bloody scraps, squid and fishbites and nare a nibble on the smaller rigs.

as Sam was saying, I had two blue but just as the sun was setting, I noticed one of my sharkin rods bounced, not much but it caught my attention. I went to investigate and just as I was going to go back to my truck it slammed down again and line went slack, picked up the rod brought in the slack slowly and I felt a tug, set the hook and it was a go. line being pulled out but not ripping off the reel, tightened the drag all the way and line still kept leaving the reel. I started to use my thumb to help slow it down until it felt i was burning a hole in my thumb. Sam and Javier brought the other rods in because by this time whatever I had on the line was headin north. Sam and I were both thinking Sand tiger, well anyway after about a five minute fight I landed it with the help of Javier and Sam, it was a 65 inch butterfly ray. Sam was suprised at how quick I got him in, but he gave me one heck of a fight. I have pics but keep getting an error message every time I try to upload. Should be heading back out tonight.

hey guys, this weekend my nephews (8 and 10 yrs) are coming down to see me. They want to go fishing like their uncle Chris at the beach. Sounds great, only I'm worried that the bugs at Assateague are going to get em to the point that they are going to want to leave. (and that will make me grumpy!) I haven't been out there in about 3 weeks, but last time I was out there the insects weren't shy. (I think I caught one squito snuffing from my 30% deet spray.) I know a couple weeks ago someone posted a wind shift, and stated the bugs died down. So here is my stupid question- Are the black flies and mosquitos in full force out there? :evil7:

If the wind is coming from the west or S/W, watch out. If it is coming off the water, you should be fine. No wind, skeeters, but bearable. Good luck and have fun!

I fished AI tonight and was accompanied by Coop, Oliver, Dave & Tonya, Penpal and HRfisherman. Action was slow until dark and couldn't keep bait on the hook because of snapper blues.

I used floats for the first time tonight and they worked well after dark. I had a great run around 10pm and landed a hefty 5-6' sandbar and a smaller sandbar soon after. Then as I was about ready to call it a night (around 1am) I got a really good screamer with Dave standing by. It was a real fighter and took two good runs. Finally got it into the breakers and it came off in the surf. As soon as I put the pole back into the spike, Dave yells, "there goes the other one!"

I ran over and another nice fight ensued. I fought him for about 10 minutes and another nice fat, healthy sandbar around 6'. These sharks put up a GREAT fight and I have been waiting all summer. I forgot my camera, but Dave got a decent shot of the first shark. All sharks caught on yakked out baits with floats.

Great night! Good to see everyone.

congrats on winning your fight. Can someone post a photo with a description of the shark rig with floats in the tackle section?:icon_thumright:

reminds me of a couple years ago, people saw a lot of silverish fish jumping and thought they were kings or tarpon. dave looked at them through binoculars and saw they were spinner sharks and they proceeded to blitz the beach.

That was a great day.We saw hundreds of freejumpers all morning and afternoon.What a sight!

5852a51436b91_one154.jpg.3b781160b3a28a0

That was a great day.We saw hundreds of freejumpers all morning and afternoon.What a sight!

Looks like a nice Spinner shark! I could be wrong though I am not real good with Shark ID just yet.

Agree the spinners' anal fin is black tipped whereas the blacktip sharks' is not. Easy to remember cause it seems Bass akwards.

Nice night last night...yaked baits...managed a decent size sandbar and had one of the biggest knockdown screamers I ever had. Never seen line rip off that fast and had to keep tightening the drag and she still kept hauling a** and soon after came unglued:angry4::angry4:. It looked like she hit my red floats and never hit the bait. Steel cable was chomped, chewed, and twisted on both sides of my float...with teeth marks on the float. Sharks were caught during the day, nothing at night.

There appears to be plenty of sandbars around now. Now is the time.

Well with all this talk about floats and how/what to use to rig them, Coop just added another variable of what size hooks to put in them.

Well with all this talk about floats and how/what to use to rig them, Coop just added another variable of what size hooks to put in them.

My floats are about 12" above the hook (very large hook, 16) and then I vary the size of my rub leader depending on depth I want then followed by a ff. I use the same size hook. The great thing about yaking is that with floats, we now can suspend the bait anywhere in the water colomn. I had one suspended about 2' below the surface and looked perfect how it was lying in the water. It has no problem floating a huge hook and big bait.

I came up with a great idea with live lining bait without floats without the worry of the fish swiming and getting tangled in my main line, I 'll get into that later and see how it works...it should work perfect.

My floats are about 12" above the hook (very large hook, 16) and then I vary the size of my rub leader depending on depth I want then followed by a ff. I use the same size hook. The great thing about yaking is that with floats, we now can suspend the bait anywhere in the water colomn. I had one suspended about 2' below the surface and looked perfect how it was lying in the water. It has no problem floating a huge hook and big bait.

I came up with a great idea with live lining bait without floats without the worry of the fish swiming and getting tangled in my main line, I 'll get into that later and see how it works...it should work perfect.

I meant what size hooks should we be hooking to the float since you had a shark hit the float and run with it.