11 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready for my second trip to Assateague this year and was wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of a reliable and trustworthy source for some lighter sharking gear. Don't want to spend a mint 'cause I know I'll not make it down to the island more than twice a year and really ain't targeting the "big" ones. I'm also looking for a rod holder for the front receiver on my truck, any sources locally?

Also looks like I'll be coming down solo for the first week, Aug. 13th to the 19th, then the family catching up with me for the second week. So I'd really be interested in hooking up with some of you more experienced sharker.

Thanks,

The Greenhorn

Unfortunately Greenhorn you get what you pay for. You can go to a tackle shop or a Wal-mart and buy an outfit that may get the job done for a while. If you are going to come down twice a year for life (no pun intented) buy yourself a a good quality outfit that you will have for a lifetime. If you are coming down through Delaware a stop at Old Inlet bait and tackle would be a productive one.In Ocean City, AKE Marine or Harbour Tackle can set you up. These are the people I deal with for my surf stuff and the tackle for my charter operation (AKE being my primary outfitter).There are others but these are the ones I know and trust. They will also value your business. Face it, a decent rod $80-$225, a suitable reel the same then spool it, rigs, sinkers, bait, sand spikes etc. trying to fish on the cheap will work one time and the next year .....equipment failures.Hope this helps GOOD LUCK!

Welcome, If interested, stop by for our summertime get together scheduled for August 17.

Thanks for the invite, guys. I didn't realize that was the date of the summer fling! Looking forward to learning alot!!

I'll be casting from shore (no yaking), so I'm guessing I need a "heaver". Still looking for a definition on that term. :confused1: What exactly am I looking for in a rod? Have been reading up on the rigging requirements. Where do you get the tuna and bunker heads and large peices for bait?

Will be doing my shopping in the O.C. area. Right now I've got a cheap plastic rod holder on the front, but the thought of the plastic breaking as I'm going down the beach and running over my gear really bothers me. Was looking for a simple aluminum 4 or 6 tube rod holder.

Steve, the link you sent me looks like more of a yak set-up. A little short for casting, isn't it? How long are the ones you have? Any other sources for some good used equipment? E-mail me if you need to.

Thanks again,

The Greenhorn

Yes, they are more so for hauling out baits. I have 6' rods.

You would do fine with a 12' rod with a mid range ($50-$75) Diawa (or similar) reel. Look through the for sale section here and other boards, you may find a deal. Don't go bottom of the barrel for gear, it WILL let you down.

I strongly suggest that you do not put your rods in a front holder for your long trip down.

I strongly suggest that you do not put your rods in a front holder for your long trip down.

Good point. Sorry, forgot to address that little issue... Rods and reels are wrapped in a blanket in the truck tool box for the trip down. Front rod holder is just for commuting back and forth from the beach to the campsite. Don't want to take a chance on them being damaged in the back of the truck. I'll be camping in the National Seashore campground, bayside.

Good point. Sorry, forgot to address that little issue... Rods and reels are wrapped in a blanket in the truck tool box for the trip down. Front rod holder is just for commuting back and forth from the beach to the campsite. Don't want to take a chance on them being damaged in the back of the truck. I'll be camping in the National Seashore campground, bayside.

Make sure you bring lots and lots and lots and lots of bug spray. Camping bayside this time of year can be brutal if there is any hint of west wind.

As for a heaver, check out bass pro shop and look at the 12 foot Ocean Master rod rated 6 - 12 oz in stores you can get them for 120 dollars normal or a lot cheaper (89.99) on sale. If you want to take a step up you can look into the Breakaway HDX rod which is around $200 dollars. I have never used one personally but I have heard LOTS of good about the HDX. There is also the Tica series rods which run just a tad bit cheaper than the Ocean Master, but heaving huge baits I'll take the Ocean Master anyday. Now throwing chunks at stripers and Drum I'll take my 12ft Tica rods over the Ocean Masters.

I agree with the others, you get what you pay for. Don't buy the cheapest rod and reel combo you find because you will be buying a new one each year you come.

I recommend the Ocean Master 11 or 12 foot with a penn 525. They come in Spinning also if you prefer. I landed a roughtail ray that was over 6 feet wing tip to wing tip with the OM and penn. Kept pulling me in standing but when I sat and dug in I made short work of landing it.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Leaning toward the Ocean Master rods due to the popularity of them. Can you recommend any local shops that carry them at a resonable price? Don't want to be ordering stuff this close to leaving for the beach.

I'm thinking I'll be sticking with a spinning set-up just due to the learning curve of changing over to a conv. reel. But then again, I've got a lot of work to do on my casting technique.... :confused4:

The Greenhorn

if you can wait on the gear till you get down to Ocean City, stop in and sea Bev at Harbor Tackle in West Ocean City at the corner of Sunset and Golf Course rd.

she has a good slection of rods & reels + she always has plenty of bait, tackle and the latest fishing info and dont forget to pick-up a Thumb Dinger

OM's are at Bass Pro Shop only when they are new. I highly recommend bumping up the grade on the OM to the cape point special, $40 more but infinitely nicer. These are made by star rods and are very high quality, just need to use a reel clamp or re-seat the rod down the line. I did the clamp for about a year but then regripped the rods, much better...performs like a custom heaver.