3 posts in this topic

Where do sharks primarily feed,,,the floor, middle, surface? I have started using float rigs and figured I would lay one on the surface. I was using one that was probably suspended 5' above the floor and caught a nice size sandbar. With the yak, I could easily have it suspended on the surface. It may not even matter but figured I would give it a try. Since I have been using floats, the bait always comes back untouched by crabs. It's nice to know that the bait is still on the hook and not being smothered by a crab.

Tigers, Whites and others feed at the top. You have a better chance of getting bigger critters near the top. Smaller species stay away from the top, nowhere to run to if chased.

Angels, ST and others feed from the bottom to the middle of the water column. Oh yeah, Skate and Ray too.

As I had mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'd like to know the depth out there so I could tie a float at the proper place to get the bait at the top of the water. I'm guessing about 30'. Reckon we'd have to use 30' of shock for that method. Ya got to use a weight, otherwise it would float back in or have tons of slack.

When I was doing inshore shark trips as a mate, we used to rig at least one live bait under a float with about 4 to 5 feet of free line under the float... can make for some pretty cool action. Have seen sandbars and spinners jump out of the water and come down on top of the bait. Pretty neet stuff. Only downside is birds. During bright daylight make sure the bait is a few feet down out of reach. Otherwise they'll be flying off with it.