9 posts in this topic

Wife and Kids went to the waterpark today, so I slipped out to Back Bay to try my luck.

Arrived on the beach a touch before 11am and it was the last of the outgoing tide. Dead low was at 12pm, so I took my time and tried to read the beach and find some holes as the water was very clear. Found a sweet looking spot that had a nice trough. Even at dead low when I walked through the spot the water was up to my waist. (put a pic below you may be able to see what I was talking about!)

Got the lines baited up and sent them out. Within a few minutes I pulled out a small roundhead, but fresh bait none the less. Dead low and slack set in and I had to wait out for the turn.

Turn finally happens, but still nothing else. I decided tp put on a piece of shrimp since I had not used any yet and tossed it out in the hole short. Went back and sat down then BAM! Rod bends over and drag screaming. Ran over to the rod, grab it and the line went slack!:disgust: Lost a nice pup there, I was sure of it!

About 3pm, I gave up on the big baits, since they had been untouched all day, and put out another pup rod. This time I dug up some sand fleas and baited it with them.

About twenty minutes go by, then I see my line twiching and running down to the left in the hole. Run over and set the hook, this time she is on.:happy3: After a short fight, I landed a beauty pup at 18 1/2 inches. Not that big, but beauty markings and love the blue on the tail. No doubt this is my favorite fish to catch. Took a quick pic (below) and put her back in the water. Took her a second, then she blasted off, splashing my with water.

Kept trying sand fleas till 5pm, but nothing else. Decided it had been long enough and headed back in.

Enjoyed the day and the scenery. Ghost crabs everywhere scurring about filled up some of my time while the fish were not biting!

Hopefully I can get out one more time before I go back to work on Monday!

100_2325.jpg.a8040fd366c00aea915de968ef8

100_2331.jpg.07828992c5be73236fde3e0a240

100_2336.jpg.8697f4c9581f9751f2586863c2d

Nice blue color on the tail. Sounds like a good, relaxing day at Back Bay.

Good report Dixie, man that water looks good. Im stuck out here in Fallon, NV and as soon as I get here you guys get lite east winds and clear water :evil3:. Throw any metal for blues/spanish?? Gonna be hitting damneck when I get back for sure...tight lines.......geo

Shoot me a PM when you get back from Fallon! We need to hook up and wet a line here sooner or later!

thanx for the update- rudee was dead at sun rise- 2 short flounder so i headed to ft story and all there was were small taylor blues in the surf rounding up bait....caught 3 and picked up more seashells than she knows what to do with !!

pretty pup there...there's nothing I'd rather do on this earth then drum fish from the surf.

Nice looking fish. Thanks!

pretty fish, gonna try ta make my way out there in the morning