8 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, I have a computer repair business. I have some really cool software that lets me work on your computer from my office, so if you live across the bridge and you don't want someone coming to your home, I can take care of most software related problems. Let me know 410-641-2987 or 1-866-641-2987

Ocean Computers

Sam, we have a 4 year old Compaq preasario and @2 months ago the monitor stop working(no picture or sound) we went out and bought a KDS monitor ($99.00) just to get something cheap but it has no audio jacks :(

so my question is can the Compaq monitor be fixed or should I just chuck-it :?:

Does the line-out to the monitor have a seperate line for speakers or is it all contained?

If you have a line-out for audio just pick up some speakers, if not, don't bother fixing a 4 yo monitior, it will probably cost you more than a new one to fix.

If you can, try it on another machine to see if it works, before you take it out back and shoot it.

At 4, a computer is about ready to be replaced anyway. Unless it's a standard PC that can be used as a file server.

no, we have the speakers that came wth the Compaq but the new monitor has no provisions for speakers, oh well :wink: have any use for the old one :?: free to a good home :mrgreen:

I think I'm losing something in the translation here......Computer Sound and Computer Video are two different cards, or at least two different ports on the motherboard. What does the new Monitor have to do with the Speakers.....Even my old Packard Bell 486 had a speaker jack on it. So I guess I'm just a little lost....

Speaker wire goes from computer (sound card) to monitor... Monitor has built in speakers and jack for headphones.

Randy, toss the broken monitor. They have special places for them at the landfill for environmental reasons. The older ones are a dime a dozen, and they aren't even broken. :-)

I think I'm losing something in the translation here......Computer Sound and Computer Video are two different cards, or at least two different ports on the motherboard. What does the new Monitor have to do with the Speakers.....Even my old Packard Bell 486 had a speaker jack on it. So I guess I'm just a little lost....

Some monitors have the speakers built into the monitor case itself. They usually have the audio wires encased with the video bundle going to the monitor. It looked like Randy's was this type.

With some of the propritary mb's you never know how they have the a/v rigged on the mb.

That's another good reason to have a self-built clone.

Speaker wire goes from computer (sound card) to monitor... Monitor has built in speakers and jack for headphones.

Randy, toss the broken monitor. They have special places for them at the landfill for environmental reasons. The older ones are a dime a dozen, and they aren't even broken. :-)

ok, will-do. Thanks