10 posts in this topic

or should i say "caught a wiff of!!!"

well i was driving down on Assateague Island today to do a little blues fishing and i "caught" a huge wiff of some rotting flesh even with the wind going pretty good. i look over to the shore break and i see this huge decaying animal.........

it was about 5-6 foot long and had good size to it most fins had been eaten away but i had to take a closer look. i am asuming that it is some kind of sturgin per say but i may be mistaken..

just thought you all would find this a little interesting...

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

Wow! Very interesting. :dontknow:

i have been doing a little reasearch on it this afternoon.

it is a sturgeon

i am kinda glad to have run accross it because it has been some really interesteing reading on them and how they use the chesapeake bay to spawn and grow and how much they use brackish water untill around 7 years of age.

Ron now thats just plain nasty. I swear I can smell that thang just from the pic. Picture is worth a 1,000 smells. As in the words of Lynyrd Shynyrd-"Can't you smell that smell." Still - thanks for sharing-pretty cool. Always thought they were a fresh water species.

Reminds me of when Bucket and I were at Oregon Inlet a few years back and stumbled upon this washed up Basking. Man we were glad she wasn't cut open cause it would have stunk something awful. The Basking's head was buried in sand, but the tail and size of this beast was just amazing. We tried to lift the tail and struggled at that alone. Sad sight, but amazing none the less!

5852a51390cb2_kdh3009(2).jpg.9cdc8d78f20

I remember that basking shark.... think i was there a couple days after you guys as the birds had been picking at it a little bit, but not bad. very impressive sight. a truely HUGE fish.

Wow, that thing is monstrous!

I was at Bass Pro in Arundel Mills yesterday, they had a live Sturgeon in their huge tank. Really cool looking, it was small though, about 3 feet long.