16 posts in this topic

What do you think about chumming the surf? Is this technique worth while or no? I tried it two weeks ago but did'nt see its effectiveness.

I have seen attempts, but not much success. Usually, if the fish are there (especially sharks) there is no need.

I have always wanted to try this at night. Don't you think it would help concentrate the sharks more, especially if you are casting baits instead of yakking? I asked one of the "Salty Dog" surf fisherman about the chum, and he said it would probably draw alot of the sharks away from the Indian River Inlet and down the beach. It sure would be interesting to shark fish at night with a chum bucket close to the inlet.

I think it is something worth trying for people who cast instead of yak. (By the way - I did yak out several baits with my buddies' yak- it was a cool experience and resulted in a NICE butterfly ray, and 3 missed drag-screamers)

Ben

I think it's got to be worth a try. Frozen chum in a biodegradable bag, a brick in the bag and a good throw. Wouldn't have to retrieve it.

While it could be effective I think that a good location with no chum will outfish a bad location with chum even in close proximity. But it could be the difference in catching or not catching in a bad location. Learn to read the water, use fresh bait, and put that effort used in chumming into hauling your gear a little further to a better spot. My 1.5 cents.

This is what I've found out in trying 3-4 different ways to chum the surf...all fruitless.

Ben, have you tried at night?

There are so many more large around at night.

I wouldn't bother during the day, if they aren't there they just plain ol' aren't there.

Like ya said, move along the sand or paddle further out.

Oh, I'd only try to chum if chunking from the sand, I'm not paddling out through a slick....:icon_thumbdown:

Just curious- for sharking how does one "read the surf"

At Bethany the sandbars are not shallow enough to cause waves to break so I don't know what I would do to find a good spot? i just post up and fish!

Hmmmm that will be hard for me to identify the outer bar because there are never any waves that break there!!!!!

Hmmmmmmm

thanks for the links

IMO, it's really not worth the effort chumming.

Ben23, you are right...it's nearly impossible to find cuts in those locales. Pretty much a beachbreak...Makes for some great skimboarding.

Pretty much a beachbreak...Makes for some great skimboarding.

Alas!, something to pass the time waiting for nighttime sharking!!!!

I have been doing it for a while now, good times :eusa_dance:

I would think that chumming would help bring sharks to an area. Especially if you were chumming at an out suck. Of course there would hopefully already be sharks at the out suck but with the chum you might be able to draw in some of the big ones you guys are looking for.

It can work if ya have good luck. The times I have tried chummin up the surf, it has always landed a good mess of kings the next sun-up in that same spot.

I gave it a try two weeks ago at night. Only because I had too much bait to bring home 50 lbs. is alot. My buddie brought a grinder from home and we went to it. It just seemed like alot of work for no return. I was hoping to draw in some big toothys well into casting range ; we had a good out suck going but nothing doing. I may give it another go this weekend just to make sure I gave it a fair shake then thats it.

I have been chumming from the beach for about 3 years now. I yak a chum bucket out about a hundred yards or so with a rope, float, and anchor. One day last year I caught 7 big sharks and had a ton of other bites. But all of a sudden the action stopped. When I paddled out to check on the chum I found that the mesh bag that the chum was in was bitten in half and the chum was gone. I never shark fish from the beach without 1 or 2 - 1 gallon pales of chum anymore. It works for me.

That Chum bucket story sounds like Captain Quint talkin...."He bobbed up and down ...kind a like a top....and upended...well...he'd been bitten in half below the waist."

....thats a critter I'd like to tie into in the surf.

I did have a big bag of tuna scraps stolen as well but that was WAY out.