Guest rustyinmaine

got my first boat and need help trolling

4 posts in this topic

i'm in maine and i cant catch a fish trolling for the life of me.I'm looking to catch salmon and togue. any tips or sugestions would be greatly appreciated. My old lady is making fun of me and and starting to lose a little faith.I can catch the bass all day long but cant reel in the big lakers or little ones for that matter.thanks

Rusty

I know Nothing about Samon Fishing. I can help you w/ Tuna...

Rusty, glad to have you with us. I'm sure whatever you know about fishing up there will be new to us down yonder. Please feel free to share your tactics and gains here. If you get the word out in your area about this forum, perhaps more folks from your area will come on board and share their tips with you and the rest of us. :D

Ok all I do is troll saltwater but it would be no differnt in fresh water lakes I cant say this enough sonor sonor sonor look for sturcture and bait if there is no bait there will be no fish there I dont know what you are trolling Lures or live or dead bait but now that you have found the bait and structure and structure can be many things Rocks hard bottom ledges dropoffs ECT you will need a set of downriggers place one close to the bottom and the other at the depth you are seeing the fish and bait other lines on top as far as trolling speed in saltwater if I am pulling live bait it is just in gear just enough speed to keep the lines stright Lures 5 to 6 knots but thats most likly too fast for the lake fish so I would run 2 to 6 MPH settle at the speed thats is working best.But you got to find the fish and bait before you can cathe them or you are just drowing baits.

Good Luck let me know if this helped