30 posts in this topic

Still a lack of larger critters but a slight increase in numbers on some of the usual summer suspects. Croaker are making a showing in the back bay and flounder fishing is fair.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

September already...... geesh I didn't think I slept that long. Oh goody the drum should be here!

Sorry Scott, couldn't resist!

went to AI today for a couple hours with better half lot of fog no fish all and all better than working :dontknow: have to catch them later

Fished Tues night 6-midnight at AI just up from the south beach lot. Caught some spot, one king fish on bloodworm fishbytes combined with a little bit of bunker. I also caught a bunch of really small fish that were a cross between an eel and a fish. They had a fish looking head with no real fins other than the pectoral fins. Anyone know what they were? Also no hits on my shark setup.

I also caught a bunch of really small fish that were a cross between an eel and a fish. They had a fish looking head with no real fins other than the pectoral fins. Anyone know what they were? Also no hits on my shark setup.

Probably a red hake. Pretty good eatin if you can catch large ones. :icon_thumright:

redhak.jpg.4e9c442376f67d55ffbe694e79ffd

Looks like you guys are right. I had been catching many of these a few weeks ago and thought it strange considering it was July.

I hit AI over the past two days and to sum things up up it has been a ray and skate fest, had two 4 ft rays day before yesterday and a crap load of skate yesterday. I am hoping to get out again this evening. I am in some need of some toothy pullage.

Yesterday from the beach...a mess of kings, a small shark and a few lightning bolts mixed in.

Hello all... I am fairly new to surf fishing I've only been out a few times mostly throwing lures for bluefish but I have been following what you guys have been posting on here before my vacation and now that I am home I have a few questions. I fished assateague between the swimmers and the people with 4X4 passes yesterday and today with minimal sucess. I had 2 rods one 9ft one 10ft. I had one rod rigged up with cut bunker on a gamakatsu octopus 3/0 hook rigged up what i belive you call "fish finder" style with a sinker slide and on the other rod I also had set up "fish finder" style with a small(I belive 1/0 not sure though) owner octopus hook with the fishbites bloodworm. I also tried squid/minnow combo on flounder hooks. My problem is the bunker and squid would get eatin by the crabs (the reason I think this is the only time I would have bait left is when I used a bunker head and all the insides and eyeballs were gone) I was using 4oz and throwing out pretty far(caught 100's of bluefish at this distance when they came through in the spring) Both days fishing I had very few bites and all I caught were 3 croaker. If anyone has any tips/advice/feedback (please no insults I am new at bottom fishing in the surf(from central PA)) I would greatly appreciate it I may make a trip there again next month if I feel more confident I might catch something.... :help: Thank you!

Hey Snowman, welcome aboard. That is pretty much what is going on right now on the surf fishing scene. This west wind has caused an upwelling that has decreased the water temperature, therefore the fish are staying offshore.

I have been using fishbites bloodworm alternative and the kings have been taking turns with the cusk eels. We are still waiting on the sandbar sharks, but some have had some luck with larger sand tigers. I've seen a nice flounder caught using bull minows, but never tried myself.

It's pretty hit and miss, but worth the effort if you are in the right spot at the right time. Good luck!

Hey Snowman, welcome aboard. That is pretty much what is going on right now on the surf fishing scene. This west wind has caused an upwelling that has decreased the water temperature, therefore the fish are staying offshore.

I have been using fishbites bloodworm alternative and the kings have been taking turns with the cusk eels. We are still waiting on the sandbar sharks, but some have had some luck with larger sand tigers. I've seen a nice flounder caught using bull minows, but never tried myself.

It's pretty hit and miss, but worth the effort if you are in the right spot at the right time. Good luck!

Thanks, I was just kinda frustrated with myself because I see other people catching rays/skates and I hear all this talk about kingfish and what not and I don't understand how they are catching anything on cut bunker/squid/minnow when my bait just gets devoured by crabs... Like one guy above said ray and skate fest... I couldnt even hook up with one:dontknow:

Hello Snowman, welcome to the forum!

Try some smaller hooks, maybe a #4 and toss the Fishbites with squid just behind the surf break. Vary your distance in & out. You will find the Kings and then keep tossing in the same distance zone.

Move up and down the beach a little too.

If you get hooked up with a larger critter, I hope you have a spare spool of line with you.... :D

Hello all... I am fairly new to surf fishing...

:hello: Ahoy & welcome The Snowman. Dreams Float Joe yakking at ya.

Practice, practice, & practice some more. It's called fishing, not catching for some strange reason to me. :)

Try fishing the first few hours of the incoming tide, the first few hours of the outgoing tide, sun up, sun down, late in the evening.

Reads to me like you have the right gear/bait, etc. When you buy your fresh bait, ask where/what/what time, tide how fish are being caught in that area. Don't forget to say your here fishie, fishie prayers. I do it all the time.

The Snowman, please keep asking questions and post here often. I look forward to reading your catching post and viewing your pics of your monster sized catches.

O by the way, love your bologna. :lol:

Go catch some fun!

..........motwdfjoess-1.jpg

Good post, Joe. Don't forget patience!

Went flounder fishing yesterday behind OC. 3 of us caught 11 flounder and two keepers, both just over 17". The fish are there, but so is everyone else.

fished the beach saturday most of the day .....

nada nothign zip zilch!!!!!

the wind blew hard NE all day calmed down in the afternoon but was to tired to keep fishing..

crabs were terrible

fished this morning for a couple hours. As Aisurffish said hard NE wind, cold water, lots of a grass and needed 10's to hold. Tried mullet rigs, king rigs with fish bites and nothing! Other than the 80 degree temp it felt like fishing in the middle of February.

:hello: Ahoy & welcome The Snowman. Dreams Float Joe yakking at ya.

Practice, practice, & practice some more. It's called fishing, not catching for some strange reason to me. :)

Try fishing the first few hours of the incoming tide, the first few hours of the outgoing tide, sun up, sun down, late in the evening.

Reads to me like you have the right gear/bait, etc. When you buy your fresh bait, ask where/what/what time, tide how fish are being caught in that area. Don't forget to say your here fishie, fishie prayers. I do it all the time.

The Snowman, please keep asking questions and post here often. I look forward to reading your catching post and viewing your pics of your monster sized catches.

O by the way, love your bologna. :lol:

Go catch some fun!

Thanks for the advice I did fish at those times and I did ask what people were catchin also my brother has more experience than I do with surf fishing(he works at cabelas for 5+ years) But he was not with to give me and tips but it sounds like maybe there wasn't much around as only the guy who said he had a "ray and skate fest" caught more than a few fish. What time of year (around what time of what month) do the drum come into the surf? I might reserve a hotel for then to see if I can do any good.. if it's in the begining of october that's salmon fishing in new york time though... Also do the bluefish come through that area and what time do they usually show up in the fall. I know there are some there now but when I fished for them in new jersey in the spring they were blitzing chasing minnows up onto the beach and we caught soo many our arms were sore by 5 0'clock(one on every cast) and I was wondering if they come through that area in large numbers?

And yes, our bologna is the best... made about 5 min from my house:glasses1:

I didn't mention what town I was from at all though did I? How did you know?

And yes, our bologna is the best... made about 5 min from my house...I didn't mention what town I was from at all though did I? How did you know?

:hello:

'Google': 17046 :blob1:

This guy is on the ball! :icon_salut:

My sister inlaw is from up that way and by the way welcome to the site.

Got home and back to the computer on Thursday, but just now getting around to posting a report (I work weekend shift). We spent 10 days, July 9th to 19th on Assateague camping, fishing, playing, and LOVING IT! We had a blast!

Oops, this is the fishing forum, we'll stick to that! Fished some every day, and there were very few days I didn't catch anything. Several skates, but since this was my very first surf fishing experience, I was thrilled with them!! Several croaker and a few snapper (small blue?), but nothing big.

The biggest thrill was reeling in an average croaker and suddenly the drag lets out a loud scream, then you finish reeling in HALF a CROAKER!! Quite impressive to the beginner! I quickly rigged up the remains and pitched it back out to no success. Had one other hit that quickly ripped about a third of my line off before breaking off. Exciting indeed! I had the most success on cut up frozen bunker, a few on fishbites, but not much luck on squid. Was using surf rigs and kingfish, spot, croaker rigs. Need to look into the "fish finder" rigs. Don't quite understand them yet.

I've got a lot to learn, but I'm HOOKED!! I'll be returning sometime in August, probably the 13th to the 23rd, for another 10 to 11 days to hit it again!!

A few quick questions... How bad are the bugs at night? Got ate up by mosquitos at camp in the evenings. Will anything stop them? Flies were tolerable most days, just had to stay close to the water and away from the truck.

Thanks again for all the great advise!

The Greenhorn

A few quick questions... How bad are the bugs at night? Got ate up by mosquitos at camp in the evenings. Will anything stop them? Flies were tolerable most days, just had to stay close to the water and away from the truck.

Thanks again for all the great advise!

The Greenhorn

As for the mosquitos try some stuff that I get at Wal-mart in the camping section don't remember the name but it's around 97 or so DEET comes in a white and red box. Works great for me. Oh and it keeps the flies away too for the most part.