6 posts in this topic

Which line is best for shock leader?

I have no idea but found out that is why I am snapping line and taking out sea gulls.:idea:

What are you fishing for?

What # is your main line?

Most folks run somewhere about 40-50# for a few wraps around the spool for standard stuff like Stripers and Drum.

For the summer Charkin', maybe about 250#.

I use 50lb berkley big game electric blue or Solar green for my shock leader.

As others have said the lenght of your rod plus a couple wraps around the spool. If you are just practice casting a couple feet of shock will do you good. The long shock leader is only used to help beach the fish when it gets into the suds.

make sure you get enought shock leader on...I made the mistake of not actually measuring my shock and had to take it off and start over again (guess that happens when you don't have the reel on the full rod when you're working with it)

The rule of thumb I've always heard was "10 lbs of test for every ounce of lead" but I've never used shock leader heavier than 50 lb test. Of course, I don't throw hard enough to go farther than 100 yards. Length of leader is also important. twice the length of your reel to rod tip and a couple of wraps around the reel. If I'm fishing from a pier, I use a long enough shock leader to have some wrapped around my reel with the end tackle still in the water. It may cut down on casting distance but in decreases the likelihood of a break-off at the pier.

Yes you definatly want to be extra cautious when on piers with other people around you.

99% of my fishing is done in the surf so I don't get too over cautious when slinging lead around.

50 is the highest I have ever used, I toss up to 12oz with that. I NEVER had a breakoff yet and I put everything I can into a cast with an Ocean Master Rod.

If I was in a hurricane and slinging 12oz from a pier I probablly would put 80 shock leader on just in case, but I doubt there would be other people around then.