21 posts in this topic

I'm very interested in seeing what everyone is using for their Striper/Blues/Shark rigs.

Tell us how you have them set up, crimped, tied, knots, etc.

Perhaps a few pics....

Blues & Stripers:

17 lb mono or 35 lb braid running line with an interlock snap swivel as a fish finder on the running line, #1 barrel swivel to a 5' 80 lb mono shock leader with a 10/0 or 12/0 circle hook.

Weights from 4 oz to 8 oz.

Shark rigs:

About 1500 yards of 60 lb Ande mono on a Penn 115L 9/0 and 65 lb braid on a 113H 5/0.

Running line tied to a 225 lb 2/0 barrel swivel, 7' of 250 lb mono shock leader, barrel swivel then 7' of 400 lb Malin #19 steel leader crimped to a 12/0 knife-edged Sea Demon J-hook.

Weights from 8 oz to a brick.

dsc01905_877.jpg.646a91ffe8f39a41c286e85

For my striper rig I use a standard drum rig. 1-3" of 80-100 lb. mono ending in a 8/0 Gama or 10/0 mustad demon circle hook. the swivel I use is the next size bigger than my mono. I don't have a bluefish rig I really use. I catch most on lures. If they are around and I am targeting them on bait I will make the striper rig with wire instead. I have several different shark rigs I use. one I use is about 6" of 125-225 cable with a 10/0 demon circle and the next size swivel. When I use that rig I will step up on my shock leader strenth or just make a 5 foot piece of heavier line. that rig was for casting, this next one is for deploying baits. About a 5 foot section of 480 lb. cable ending in one or 2 12/0+ sea demon hooks. the 2 hooks are set about 6-8" apart. I have some simple 4 foot 480 lb. cable 20/0 circle rigs as well. It depends more on the bait I am using that decides the rig I use. I will try to post pictures one of these days.

stripers, drum,,,fish finder rig,,,3"-10" 80-100lb flouro attached to a 10/0 or 12/0 mustad circle demon,,,if targeting big blues, will use a short wire leader.

kings, spot and croaker,,,30lb leader high low rig with a small j hook.

shark,,,15-20' of 200lb+ mono leader attached to 5' of heavy malin wire with a 10/0 and bigger J hook and a yak to yak it out with some bloody bait!

You guys pretty much summed it up for me. I am willing to try the two rig striper deal, but I'm sticking to the standard fish finder for now.

You guys pretty much summed it up for me. I am willing to try the two rig striper deal, but I'm sticking to the standard fish finder for now.

Yeah, I like the standard fish finder too. Problem is the batteries die in the salt water and the maps get wet. :hurt: [smiley smilie=19 fontcolor=FF0000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]ARGGHHH!![/smiley]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wallb:

Ok - still learning - for the fish finder rigs for blues and stripers, how long a leader (between swivel and hook)do you typically use? I've seen/heard of anywhere from 6inches to 50 inches!! I imagine the lenghth makes a big difference in both casting and behavior in the water - so what is a good lenght to use? What would make you lengthen or shorten your leader (conditions, etc) Could someone post a picture of their "all around" blues/striper rig?

For Stripers, generally the same as the above pic minus the wire, with a 10/0 or 12/0 Circle or J hook. Different ppl use different hooks. I use 4' of 80# mono leader for them with the FF on the running line.

For Blues you'll want some wire at the end, maybe 8 inches because of their teeth. I'm thinking Malin #5 soft wire.

I have used Berkley Steelon Nylon coated wire in 30# test in the past with good results. I'm thinking about bumping up the strength to #5 Malin though.

I suppose you could use the same Blues rig for the Rock but I like as few knots as possible.

I don't use crimp sleeves on any mono less than 250# test.

Buy good barrel swivels in the 1/0 or 2/0 range but you don't have to buy the expensive Sampos, they're pretty expensive.

I've been using the black, not chrome, Bass Pro Shops brand "Offshore Angler", they're mid range in price.

Alas, that's just me, others have their favorites that work well for them. They're all good as long as you bring in the feesh.

great info guys, keep it comming 8)

as someone who's never really "shore fished" (always had boats) this is all new to me.

now, 2 ? do any of you use lures in the surf? ie: Rapala's and what about live bait, or is it mostly dead bait/chunks?

Spoons are good, Tony's, Crippled Alewife, Hopkins and the like.

Pretty much anything that you use offshore for tossing will work on the shore.

Don't use any freshwater stuff.

For one, the hooks aren't strong enough, and second, the freshie stuff rusts FAST!

Atom lures are good too, nice surface poppers.

Everybody swears by their own favorites.

Walk down the saltwater aisle and have a look-see.

Remember this though:

An OLD, OLD timer once told me,

"Sonny, all that fancy stuff is to catch the fisherman, not the fish".

Keep it simple, your bank account will appreciate it.....

for drums and stripers, I use a 80lb leader from 3"- 10" with a 10/0 or 12/0 circle demon mustad hook,,,the short leader is attached to my 40lb shock leader that is 15' - 20' long,,,catch blues with this setup as well,,,if chompers are around, I will use a wire leader, otherwise I just use the rig below,,,shorter the leader, the longer the casting distance,,,I generally use a 3" leader for drums and 5" for stripers,,,sometimes a little longer for stripers,,,I snell the circle hook,,,here is a pic below of the basic fish finder rig,,,this is my main rig for stripers and drum and use this pretty much all spring and fall,,,there are others I use like a high/low rig, not really a high low, just keeps 2 baits out in the water.

I do throw some hopkins from the beach for stripers and blues but mainly throw bait,,,and during the summer, toss bucktails with a long tapered peice of squid with a teaser for flounder, and the high low rig for for kings, spot, croaker, and snapper blues (also use those store bought bluefish rigs for snappers),,,I also use store bought king/spot rigs like the one in chompers pic.

picture_458_865.jpg.bb2fbe5643fe8e5d5e8c

Thanks Coop! That's exactly what I was looking for - So the short leaders cast better - that's what I figured- and the stripers being more shy, prefer longer leaders. RIGHT?

Question - what is the purpose need of beads with the fish finders? And what knot do you use to tie to the barrel (I'm not used to tying such heavy mono)

Thanks tons!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stripers really arent leader shy and many people just use the 3" leader for both drums and stripers, I just prefer a slightly longer leader for stripers but in reality, it's really not that much longer,,,the best thing to do is just keep it simple.

Beads are used to keep the wieght from riding pass your shock leader when fighting a big fish and protects your main line and your shock leader knot,,,personally, I don't use the bead and many others dont,,,there is always a slim chance your main line may break during a fight and the result is the fish not only has a hook in its mouth but it is also dragging 15' of shock leader line with the weight behind them.

As far as knots, I use the uni knot and improved cinch knot and have been working on a few others,,,I am by no means an expert knot maker,,,just find one you can tie easy and has a strong breaking strength,,,trilene knot is another good one.

oh ok - thanks. I use the trilene knot and the improved clinch - but i heard somewhere that you shouldn't use those on mono over 20lb. I'm not sure where I heard it so I hope its wrong, since i'm very familiar with those knots. I've got everything I need then for my rigs but only 30lb leader material - perhaps I should invest in some stronger stuff and some wire in case i get cut off by blues....

Man I can't wait to get out and try things out...Those fish up here yet? :P

uni knot for the heavy leader works good :v:

Ah-Haa, I see what I was doing wrong in snelling my hooks. I was passing the standing line thru the hook eye :oops:

thanks for the pic Coop 8)

I think I read somewhere that some knots are not recommended for larger diameter line, but I have even used the improved clinch knot for the heavy line and never had one break or slip,,,in fact the above pic is an imroved clinch,,I do like the 3 turn uni.

Steve, I really like the snelled hook,,,the large hooks we use looks great hanging down from the leader.

yeah, I use the Trilene knot on most hooks n' swivels and the Uni-knot on most lures & for tying 2 lines of either equal or un-equal diameter together instead of the Bloodknot, anyone else do that wth the Uni-Knot :?:

Coop, I use Malin on the Chark stuff with a crimp.

I'll give it a swing on the smaller stuff like the 12/0.

As for other Uni-knot uses, well, this IS a family forum so I won't go into it.

:twisted:

Steve, I use haywire twist with the wire/hook for them toothy critters.

Randy, I use to use the the imroved albright/alberto knot,,,after one failed when I had a large, I switched and I now use the no name knot tied to a loop, for the loop, I use one that I got out of an old knot book thats very easy to tie and am not sure what its called,,,I do know that its not a widely used loop knot but seems to be extremely strong,,,its one strong connection with 40lb shock leader to 17lb main line.