8 posts in this topic

Ok, figured I would put this here since these things annoy everyone while fishing!!!! I took the kids out to Burke lake a couple weeks ago and even there the biting flies were out in force!!.....So here's what I've noticed...there can be hundreds of flies buzzing around, landing on you etc, but for whatever reason 95% of all my fly bites occur in the general vicinity of the ankle. Of course there are those bites further up the leg etc, but I can't recall anything above the leg....So what makes the ankle so appealing to them?

Because this is where the veins are most accessible and the skin thinner....when surf fishing things get even worse as your are often wading into the water, and walking in sand - taking much of whatever insect repellent off your feet and ankles.

Don't listen to Trowpa's techincal garbage.

Its because its the hardest place to swat them, i mean you have to bend over and all.

These flies have one mission in life--- to tick off as much things as they can before they get swatted!

Green flies on AI today, they went 8" above the ankles.

Spray all waRshed off.

Yeah, I know, I put the R in 'cuz I say it like that.

My welts on my shins were bugging me (pun intended) from last Fri/Sat (when the wind died down enough for them to attack) until this morning.....nasty basteds they are :evil7:

Them vampires get more than ankles. My face looked like I had a scrap with Ali one morning after an all nighter out there. My buddy seriously thought I got hit in the face with my sinker. Gotta love it... :icon_syda:

We were out on the beach Fri. and all day the flies were o.k. but around 5:00pm they kicked in with a vengance and we left and took all the bait home, when the wind starts to blow from the east that is when it gets bad, so I'll try to fish another day It was beautiful out there until the flies arrived though.:bootyshake:

Anytime the wind makes a shift and comes from the west or any quartering of the island toward the beach, look out. Even more-so, when you see the horses come charging over the dunes and heading for the water, you head for the water too. Saw the horsies do that a few years ago and leave just their noses above the water. A few seconds later, I too, ran fast for the water and submerged. I looked at the surface and the flies were smacking the surface trying to get me. Real bad day, lots of red welts. They were the green headed monsters.